War of the Rebellion: Serial 074 Page 0423 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.-ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.

Search Civil War Official Records

and heroism, not a man in either line left his post; all seemed anxious to join in the contest; none shirked or neglected their duty. In the evening of the 28th my troops in the first line were relieved by Colonel Mersy's brigade, and about 10 o'clock at night, May 29, the position was again attacked by the enemy. Colonel Mersy's commanded held the enemy in check until his ammunition was exhausted, and there being none at hand, I relieved one of his regiments by the Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteers. This regiment held the position firmly until the enemy withdrew, when it was again relieved by Colonel Mersy, he having supplied his command with ammunition. May 30, I relieved Colonel Mersy's brigade, in the front line, by the Seventh Iowa and Fifty-second Illinois Infantry.

June 1, the works at Dallas were abandoned, and, with the Sixteenth Corps, I moved my command about four miles north, across a branch of Pumpkin Vine Creek, and made a line of works, which were held until June 5, from which the command was moved to within one mile of Acworth. The troops rested here until the 10th, when we again moved against the enemy on Kenesaw Mountain. My command remained in reserve near Big Shanty until June 26, when I advanced to the base of the mountain and relieved a portion of General Osterhaus' command. Remained in this position, skirmishing with the enemy and making demonstrations in favor of other portions of the army, until July 2, when I started toward the right of our army. The morning of the 3rd Kenesaw Mountain was discovered to be evacuated by the enemy. We moved into Nickajack Creek, near Ruff's Mill; constructed works during the night. The morning of the 4th of July advanced across the Chattahoochee River and to their tete-de-pont on the north side. On the 5th moved, on Howell's Ferry road, to within four miles of the river, from thence, via Marietta, to Roswell, and crossed the Chattahoochee. The afternoon of the 10th took a good position on a hill, and completed the works already begun there by troops of the Fourth Corps. Left this position on the 18th, and marched, via Decatur, to a position on the right of the Fifteenth Corps, and distant two miles and a half from Atlanta, east.

Constructed works during the night of July 20; afterward moved to the front and right, and joined the left of the Twenty-third Army Corps. Left this position the morning of the 22nd July, and moved about two miles and a half south, and engaged in the battle of the 22nd before Atlanta, a report of which has been forwarded.* On the 27th left the position of the battle of July 22 and moved around the north side of Atlanta to right of Fourteenth Corps, on Proctor's Creek; drove the enemy's skirmishers about half a mile, and occupied a good position two miles and a half west of the city. Here I skirmished constantly with the enemy, advancing my line several times, until I reached a fine position, about 1,100 yards from the enemy's main works and less than 200 yards from strongly intrenched skirmish line. This position was in plain sight of Atlanta, and from it shot and shell were constantly thrown into the doomed city for-days and nights. Retired from this position in the night of August 25 and moved to the right, south; crossed Utoy and Camp Creeks, struck Atlanta and West Point Railroad, and destroyed the track near Fairburn during August 29. August


*See p. 418.