War of the Rebellion: Serial 074 Page 0204 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

hundred and twenty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry since leaving Chattanooga, Tenn., May 3, 1864, up to the present time:

With 212 men, under Lieutenant Colonel F. S. Curtiss, the regiment marched to Resaca, Ga., via Snake Creek Gap, participating in the assault and fight of May 14, loosing 1 killed, 4 wounded, and 1 missing. From here we proceeded to Dallas, Ga., crossing the Oostenaula River one mile and a half from Calhoun Ferry. We engaged in the fight of the 28th of May at Dallas, and suffered a loss of 1 killed and 3 wounded. The regiment next took route for New Hope Church, from there to Big Shanty, and the line in front of Kenesaw Mountain. Were in the assault of June 27 against the rebel works, under the command of Captain A. C. Little, Lieutenant-Colonel Curtiss being sick and other senior officers absent.

On the 6th of July Captain F. A. Raymond, Company I, was dishonorably discharged the service of the United States for "leaving his command without authority while advancing on the enemy June 19, 1864, going to the rear and remaining until sent for, and again on the 27th of June, during the assault on the enemy's works." July 11, 1864, the resignation of Major T. W. Chandler was accepted by Special Field Orders, Numbers 154, headquarters Department and Army of the Tennessee. In the various flank movements following the One hundred and twenty-seventh shared the fortunes of the brigade, finally crossing the Chattahoochee River at Roswell July 14. Marching thence in a southeasterly direction to the Atlanta and Augusta Railroad, striking it near Stone Mountain, we assisted in its destruction. On the 20th of July, in the advance upon Atlanta, the loss was 3 wounded, and in the battle of the 22nd the regiment had 2 killed and 8 wounded, with 6 missing. Included in this list was Color-Sergt. Alexander Dennis, mortally, and Lieutenant E. Percival, severely, wounded. In the engagement of the 28th of July the One hundred and twenty-seventh was detached from the brigade and placed upon the extreme right of the division. Here we lost 4 killed, 8 wounded, and 4 missing.

August 3, in a charge upon the rebel skirmish line, made by order of General Lightburn, our loss was 1 killed and 5 wounded. On the 6th of August, by General Orders, Numbers 8, issued from department headquarters, Lieutenant Colonel F. S. Curtiss was dismissed the service of the United States for disobedience of orders and misbehavior before the enemy August 3, 1864.* Command then devolved upon Captain Charles Schryver, Company F. While in the works to the west of Atlanta, on the Baker's Ferry road, there were 2 men wounded, and on the night of the 26th of August, while leaving them, Sergt. Major W. W. Lawton was killed by shell. On the 28th instant reached the Montgomery and West Point Railroad, and aided in the work of its destruction. On the morning of the 30th started out in a southeasterly direction, and at night took station in the line near Jonesborough. In the fight of the next day the One hundred and twenty-seventh lost 1 killed, 7 wounded, and 1 missing.


*By direction of the President, on the recommendation of the Judge-Advocate-General, the dismissal of Lieutenant-Colonel Curtiss was (October 4, 1864) revoked, and he was restored to his command with a view to his trial by court-martial. A board of officers having subsequently reported that there were no grounds for charges against this officer, he was restored to duty. (Vide Special Orders, Numbers 36, headquarters Second Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, April 1, 1865.)