War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0831 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.-ARMY OF THE CUMB'D (CAVALRY).

Search Civil War Official Records

our front. While building the stockade, twenty volunteers were called for to go with Colonel Minty and bring off a piece of artillery, which had become disabled, and which the gunners had been unable to bring off. Lieutenant Purinton and Company I responded nobly, every man going but enough to hold the horses, but before they reached the ground the piece was withdrawn. The fight had now become general, both in our front and rear, and we were ordered to the rear for the purpose of charging the enemy. We were formed in a large corn-field, under a hill, in a column of fours, the Fourth U. S. Cavalry on my left and the Seventh Pennsylvania on my right, in the same formation as my own command, for it was to be a charge of the entire brigade. We moved forward at a walk until we reached the top of the hill, from which point we could see the fields we were to charge over, and the enemy's lines, which were in a piece of woods some half a mile distant, and from which they were sending their balls and shells in a very unpleasant manner. Colonel Minty gave the command and led off the charge in person, and the whole command dashed across the field, over ditches and fences, sobering the skirmishers of the enemy, who were trying to get out of our way, never once halting or faltering, although the enemy were plowing the field and thinning our ranks with their artillery. Upon reaching the woods I became separated from the command, and, becoming wounded about the same time, I did not join the command again for nearly an hour. After charging through, we moved about a mile back, where a line was formed composed of the different regiments. The command was son collected, and horses and mules belonging to the enemy, which were running in every direction, were picked up.

The charge had proved a complete success, the enemy having been completely routed. Many prisoners and 1 piece of artillery were captured. My wound having become troublesome, I turned the command over to Captain Eldridge. The command soon moved back, closely followed by the enemy's infantry. Some three miles back, a line was formed of the Fourth Michigan, Seventh Pennsylvania, and the Third Ohio, to hold the enemy in check, and for one-half hour we had the hardest fighting that we had seen during the raid. At last we fell back, and the whole command moved off for McDonough. We passed through the town about dark, during a heavy rain. At about 11 p. m. we halted, and were permitted to go into camp for the night, the first time for three days and four nights which the men had been permitted to rest or sleep. We were up and ready for an early start in the morning, and 8 a. m. the command started for Atlanta.

The regiment is deserving of great credit for the manner in which they discharged their duties during the march. Where all did so well it is difficult to select any for special praise or notice. I am under many obligations to the officers of the regiment for their cordial support throughout the march, and particularly to Captains Eldridge, Hathaway, and Van Antwerp, battalion commanders.

I have to report the following as our list of casualties during the raid:*


Major, Commanding Fourth Michigan Cavalry.



*Nominal list (omitted) shows 2 enlisted men killed, 5 wounded, and 7 missing; total, 14.