War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0767 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.-ARMY OF THE CUMB'D (CAVALRY).

Search Civil War Official Records

remained until the 16th, when it advanced with Stoneman, covering the right of the army, upon Lost Mountain, and on the 17th occupied the mountain, driving the enemy's cavalry four miles down the Marietta road, and camping on the west spur of the mountain, where the division remained until the end of the month, covering all the roads to the right and right rear of the army, and sending frequent parties into the enemy's country.

On the 1st [July] moved, in conjunction with Major-General Stoneman, and passed through Powder Springs and down toward Campbellton to Sweet Water, and sending strong parties down all the roads, having frequent skirmishes, but meeting no large bodies of the enemy, until the 4th, when the division marched for Marietta, and, passing through, camped at Hargrove's house, on Soap Creek, where it arrived just after Wheeler's command had left. Remained at this place until the 15th, sending out expeditions and guarding the fords across the Chattahoochee at Powers' Ferry, Paper Mills, and Pace's Ferry. During most of this time there was more or less skirmishing along our whole front. On the 15th marched to near burnt railroad bridge across the Chattahoochee, and put battery in an earth-work on the left; advanced and picketed the river banks strongly, both above and below the bridge. On leaving this point, on the 22d, crossed the river and skirmished heavily with the enemy during the evening, driving them and occupying their position-Mason's Church. On the 23rd were attacked in camp in the evening, but repulsed the enemy and put up heavy works, which were re-occupied on the 26th, having previously moved on Mason and Turner's Ferry road to cover General Davis' right. Were again attacked about 2 p. m., and after a severe fight drove the enemy, and on the 27th crossed the river and went on the raid, a report of which I have already had the honor to furnish, and in which, according to their own confessions, more severe injury was inflicted upon the enemy than by any similar raid since the commencement of the war. I beg to refer to that report for a statement of damage done to railroads, telegraph lines, and Confederate property.* On the 5th [August] the division moved to its old camp, near the railroad bridge, and remained there picketing, leaving there on the 10th and removing its headquarters to Cartersville, where they still remain.

The number of prisoners taken by the division and turned over to different provost-marshals during the campaign was 353. Seventy-three commissioned officers and 372 enlisted men were taken at Fayetteville on the raid, but were set at liberty after being held for two days. I know of no way in which the rebel loss at our hands during the campaign can be estimated. Their papers confess to a loss of over 900 at the battle of Brown's Mill. In consequence of the fact that all our losses on the raid are necessarily included under the head of missing, it is impossible to arrive at any accurate idea of the proportions between killed and wounded of the division during the whole campaign, and the annexed statement is therefore so far approximative. It is reported by exchanged prisoners that 574 of our men fell into the enemy's hands on the raid; if so, the number of killed and wounded on the campaign will not vary much from 225. Of course it is impossible to separate these two classes. The operations of the Third Brigade were, as will be seen by its reports, entirely independent of the rest of the command.


*See p. 762.