War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0660 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

I, on skirmish line, capture 4 prisoners of First Georgia Regiment. June 15, forward movement is made on our right and left; skirmishers, under Captain Bailey, Twenty-seventh Kentucky, took rebel works with the prisoners, besides others sent to Colonel Cooper's brigade. June 16, moved forward and made barricades. June 17, drove the enemy three miles, Twenty-seventh Kentucky on second line. June 19, moved up four miles, passing to right of Kenesaw Mountain, and waded a creek waist deep. June 22, moved up three miles and took position on right of Twentieth Corps and made breast-works. June 23, moved up half a mile and built three lines of barricades. June 26, moved up at night close to enemy and dug trenches. June 27, opened on enemy in their works at 300 yards. June 29, still sharpshooting. June 30, relieved at night by Twentieth Army Corps.

July 1, moved toward the right and drove the enemy; threw up strong works during night, which are taken by the Fifteenth Army Corps next morning, and we moved to the left and take new line. July 5, moved to Nickajack Creek and returned. July 6, moved to Smyrna, distance four miles, and stationed on the Chattanooga and Atlanta Railroad, six miles below Marietta. Here my men took 8 prisoners, straggling from the enemy. Since arriving at the front my regiment has been worked very hard, constantly changing position and fortifying. July 8, the regiment marched to Isham's Ferry, where it lay on the roadside till the 11th, when the march was continued one mile and a half beyond the river. On the 13th we moved up two miles, and on the 17th four miles farther. July 18, marched through Cross Keys to Peach Tree Creek and went on picket. July 19, moved within half a mile of Decatur, and then to the right within three miles of Atlanta. Captain John R. Fisher, an excellent officer, fell while leading his company on the skirmish line. On the next day Captain George Hammers, Company D, another efficient officer, received a dangerous wound while in the trench. July 31, in works one mile and a quarter from Atlanta, on Decatur road.

August 1, the regiment occupied a position in rear of line of works east of Atlanta, but commenced after dark the movement toward the night, moving one mile and a half and bivouacking. Marched to the extreme right of the army on the 2nd and 3d; moved forward the skirmish line, driving the enemy and capturing a number of prisoners, 11 of whom and a captain, field officer of the day, were captured by Company A, Twenty-seventh Kentucky; built strong works under a heavy fire of artillery, which annoyed us much. On the 6th moved again to the right and fortified. 7th, moved into the enemy's evacuated rifle-pits. 8th, made a reconnaissance with brigade skirmishers, driving the enemy three-quarters of a mile. After remaining behind light fortifications during the night, moved forward half a mile and built new breast-works. August 11, changed position 200 yards to the left and dig trenches, which the regiment now holds. My men are much fatigued by work and considerably reduced by casualties.*


Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding.

Lieutenant J. F. CROWLEY,

A. A. A. G., 3rd Brigadier, 2nd Div., 23rd Army Corps.


*Nominal list of casualties accompanying this report shows 1 officer and 10 men killed, 5 officers and 47 men wounded; and 3 men missing; total, 66.