War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0556 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

moving across the railroad to a field near cross-roads, a distance of about eight miles, taking position on extreme right of Twenty-third Army Corps, in support of Twenty-second Indiana Battery, where I detailed seventy-two men to build works and one company for pickets. Remained in this position until 1 p. m. of August 3, when the command moved to the front of General Cox's division, passing through his works, crossing a creek, where, by your order, I detailed three companies of my regiment as skirmishers, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Walters, who deployed them in front of the brigade and advanced, driving the enemy to temporary works, charged the works, driving the enemy to second line. The One hundred and twenty-third Regiment, supporting, took position on a hill near skirmish line and commenced building works, when Colonel Strickland's brigade arrived on the right, his skirmishers connecting with ours; the line charged the rifle-pits, Lieutenant-Colonel Walters' command taking 1 rebel officer and 14 men prisoners. My command continued fortifying and strengthening our position under very heavy fire of enemy's artillery and musketry until August 6 at 5 a. m., when the command moved out of works, being relieved by Fourteenth Army Corps, to a position on the right of Third Division until 2 p. m., when ordered to the left of General Cooper's brigade on the Sandtown road, where line of battle was formed of two brigades, and charged through dense woods, across a creek and open fields, meeting stubborn resistance, but our men pressed forward driving the enemy from his works and establishing our line on a hill about a mile from where the charge commenced. Our loss was 5 killed and 22 wounded, among whom were Captain Owens and Swain, First Sergeants Dunn (killed) and Allen (wounded), both color-sergeants, viz, William M. Hollingsworth (killed) and Benjamin Sutton, who were gallantly leading the advance. My command barricaded their front, keeping out strong skirmish line, who kept up continual fire upon the enemy until 8 p. m., when, in pursuance to orders, the command returned to rear of General Cox's division, arriving at 12 o' clock, where we remained until 6 a. m. of August 7, when the command moved through the works and took position on the right of Second Division until 2 p. m., when we moved to works on extreme right and remained until 6 p. m., moved forward one mile and occupied enemy's works. Built breast-works, bridges, &c., the whole regiment being detailed. Remained in position until 6 p. m. of August 10, when the command moved to the right of Colonel Strickland's brigade, where we built and remained until the evening of August 12, 1864.

On all of the above-mentioned occasions the officers and men of my command acted with their usual coolness and bravery, and without exception merit the commendations of their superior officers.

In closing this report, I will mention the gallant conduct of Corpl. Bruce R. Hicks, of Company G, a youth of eighteen years, who, upon the fall of Color Sergt. William M. Hollingsworth, rushed forward, seized the colors, and bore them to the front under a heavy fire of musketry.

I herewith inclose complete list of casualties of my command commencing July 31 and ending August 12, 1864.*


Colonel, Commanding 123rd Regiment Indiana Volunteers.

Colonel P. T. SWAINE, Commanding 2nd Brigadier, 1st Div., 23rd A. C.


* Aggregating 8 men killed and 3 officers and 28 men wounded; total, 39.