War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0467 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.-ARMY OF THE CUMBERLAND.

Search Civil War Official Records

every man who could be spared on the right to re-enforce the left. At last the enemy broke and fled. We pursued him on his very heels to the top of the hill, captured the regimental flag of the Thirty-third Mississippi, and leaving Colonel Drake, of that regiment, and 34 others dead, and at least double that number severely wounded, behind us, and cutting off the retreat of forty others, who surrendered afterward to the second line. Arriving on the top of the hill, we were again met by a heavy volley from the woods on our left, to which we replied with vigor. After some fifteen minutes the Twentieth Connecticut came up and took position on our left, and some time after the Seventy-third Ohio came up to take our place, and we were permitted to go some forty yards to the rear. Our ammunition had been entirely expended, and during the last half hour we had used that of the killed and wounded rebels lying on the field. The intense heat of the sun, added to the heat of the contest, had utterly exhausted the men, and when the excitement was over quite a number fell into a swoon. we secured besides the flag 5 officers' swords of the Thirty-third Mississippi. This regiment, we ascertained from the wounded, numbered nearly 400 effective men. We went into action with 260 muskets. Our casualties were Captains Seeman and Mueller killed, Captain Steinmeyer and Lieutenant Woolmer wounded, 7 enlisted men killed and 34 wounded. July 21, we remained on the battle-field, which was about half a mile from a strong line of fortifications held in force by the enemy. The enemy's sharpshooters continued to shoot into our line, and killed 1 man of Company K. July 22, it was found that the enemy had abandoned his first line of works, and we moved forward and took position near the main defense of Atlanta. July 23, moved about half a mile to the right to relieve a brigade of our First Division near the railroad, and remained till 29th, being daily much exposed to rebel artillery fire, by which 2 men were wounded the 27th. July 29th, our division left this position and marched to the extreme right of the army. August 2, moved back again nearly to our former position, and next day relieved Fourteenth Corps in the front line. In this position we remained to the 25th day of August. We advanced our lines three successive times, strongly intrenching at each advance successive times, strongly intrenching at each advance, and were constantly exposed to bullets from the rebel picket-line, whereby we lost 2 men killed and 2 wounded. In the night of 25th of July we withdrew from our breast-works and marched to Turner's Ferry; there took position and intrenched.

On the morning of September 2 we detailed two officers and seventy men as part of a reconnoitering party, which that day entered the city of Atlanta. In the afternoon sent another similar detail, who proceeded to Atlanta. September 4, took the balance of the regiment to Atlanta, where we now encamp.

Of the battles of Resaca and Peach Tree Creek I have heretofore made my separate official reports,* to which I beg leave to refer for a more minute account of the part taken therein by my regiment. I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding Twenty-sixth Regiment Wis. Vol. Infty.

Captain C. H. YOUNG,

A. A. A. G., 3rd Brigadier, 3rd Div., 20th Army Corps.


*Not found.