War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0228 Chapter L. THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

and camped a mile south of it. Proceeded in a southerly direction on the 24th, until we reached Burnt Hickory, on the Dallas road, at dark. Daylight of the 25th found us again upon the road. Up to this time no enemy had been seen. About noon of this day, shortly after crossing Pumpkin Vine Creek, brisk skirmishing was heard on our front. Double-quicking at once, we were soon in supporting distance of the line in our front. The regiment was formed in column of companies and held as a reserve to support the line in front, consisting of the One hundred and thirty-fourth and One hundred and nineteenth New York Volunteers. At 2 p. m. we were moved to the left of the brigade and formed in line of battle, the One hundred and fifty-fourth New York on our right, nothing on our left. A work of logs was of logs was hastily thrown up in our front and skirmishers were posted well out in advance. At 5 p. m. we were moved to the right, and then forward again through the woods, still keeping to the left of the Dallas road. After advancing some distance the order came to fix bayonets and charge. The Fifth and Seventh Ohio, of the First Brigade, was in front of us, but our left was open. The men advanced steadily, the enemy opening with shot, shell, and musketry. They were driven back upon every side until darkness put an end to the pursuit. We remained in line all night and at daybreak commenced skirmishing. Troops of the Fourth Corps relieved us about noon, and we retired behind a knoll in rear of our brigade, where we were protected from the fire of the enemy. On the afternoon* of the 27th the Fifth Ohio was relieved by our left wing; they were in the advanced breast-works at the time. One company of the Thirty-third was thrown out as skirmishers. On the 28th the left wing was relieved by the right, and on the 29th the regiment was relieved by the One hundred and ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers. On the 28th the enemy used canister and shell without doing any harm to the command. On the 29th works were thrown up as protection in the event of renewal of artillery fire. An attack was made in the night, but no casualties occurred in the regiment. On the 30th we were again placed in the advanced works, firing upon the skirmish line, still continuing as it had done since the 25th.

June 1, we were relieved by a portion of General Logan's command, and, with the brigade, we moved six miles in a northeasterly direction to the left. June 3, moved two miles farther in the same direction, through a severe rain-storm, and camped for the night. 6th, moved six miles in the same direction still and halted near Lost Mountain. Remained in the same camp on the 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th, heavy rains filling continuously. At this period symptoms of scurvy and general debility, resulting from exposure, became quite apparent, and sickness generally prevailed to a great extent, but the men were in good spirits and bore their hardships cheerfully. On the 14th we moved three miles nearer the mountain, halted for the night, and on the 15th became engaged at Pine Knob. The regiment constituted the second line of the brigade and moved out in splendid style, driving the enemy before them. About 5 p. m. we became hotly engaged. The regiment went as steadily and firmly as if upon battalion drill, not a break in the whole line, nor a single skulker from the post of danger. The enemy delivered a terrific fire, but with cheers the men rushed on, driving them into their works. Darkness screened the enemy's


* Fourat's report says "morning"; see p. 223.