War of the Rebellion: Serial 073 Page 0219 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.-ARMY OF THE CUMBERLAND.

Search Civil War Official Records

whose term of service had expired, left the brigade for the North for the purpose of being mustered out, and Colonel J. T. Lockman assumed command of the brigade.*

* * * * * * *

In accordance with paragraph I, Special Orders, Numbers 36, headquarters Second Division, Twentieth Corps, August 8, 1864, I assumed command of the brigade. I found it in position in heavy works confronting the fortifications of the enemy, and only a few hundred yards from them. Nothing of interest transpired. Being constantly under fire of the enemy's pickets, casualties were of daily occurrence. On the evening of the 25th instant, about 9 o'clock, the brigade, in connection with the division, silently left its position in the works before Atlanta, and by a rapid and well-conducted march reached Pace's Ferry by daylight next morning. Pickets were at once thrown out, and the brigade being assigned its position, at once proceeded to render it secure by constructing works and by slashing the heavy timber in its front. About 6 o'clock in the evening, and before the works were in condition to afford much protection, the enemy appeared in front, but a few well-directed volleys from the Seventy-third Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers and a shell or two from Bundy satisfied their curiosity, and they soon after retired. From the 25th of August to the 2nd of September the brigade was constantly and actively employed in rendering its position impregnable by the construction of additional works and abatis, when, on the afternoon of the 2nd instant, I received orders from the general commanding division to mach my brigade without delay to Atlanta, the city having been evacuated and in possession of a reconnoitering force from the division commanded by Colonel Walker. In connection with a section of Bundy's battery, and under the division of the general commanding the division, the brigade was marched via Howard's Mill to Atlanta. The bridge over Peach Tree Creek being destroyed, a short halt was necessary during its reconstruction by the brigade pioneers. In about forty-five minutes it was completed, the march was resumed, and with drums beating and colors flying the Second Brigade, Second Division, Twentieth Corps, at about 6. 30 p. m., was the first organization to enter the works and city of Atlanta. Although the reconnoitering parties of the Second and Third Divisions were established in the city some hours previous, yet this was the first brigade, the first regular permanent organization, to take possession. Pickets were at once thrown out for the night on every avenue leading south and southwest to guard against surprise, and every precaution was taken to resist attack. In the morning the brigade, by order of Major-General Slocum, was moved to occupy the rebel works on the Flat Shoal road, and remained in that position until, by order of the general commanding the division, it entered its present camp on the McDonough road, about one mile from the city.

Thus ends in complete victory a most glorious campaign. Four months of continual marching, with almost constant fighting, and the objective point has been gained. The troops of the brigade have done well, have endured hardships and experienced sufferings without complaint, and under the most trying circumstances have ever been eager to contest the foe. We mourn the loss of many


* This report from May 23 to June 7 is identical with Lockman's report, see p. 207; and from June 7 to July 25 is identical with Jones' report (with exception indicated in foot-note p. 212), see pp. 208-214.