War of the Rebellion: Serial 072 Page 0900 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

been laid and one division of the Fourteenth Corps has crossed over to return to his present camp; leave his picket-line on, but take no train (but one-half of ambulance train) or camp or garrison equipage and but one battery. At same hour informed Generals Stanley and Newton of the movement that is to be made in the morning. General Stanley finished the trestle bridge to-day at Powers' Ferry. Nothing of importance occurred during the day. Very hot. But little picket-firing.

July 17.- 4.30 a. m., General Wood started with his division to Pace's Ferry. 12.30 p. m., received a note from General Newton, stating that the rebel picket-line is advancing in his front. At once sent word to General Stanley to push out a brigade to General Wood's lines, but not to disturb his camp, and to remain there until Wood returns. 12.35, informed General Newton that Stanley had been ordered to push out a brigade to Wood's lines, and requested him to state whether the enemy's pickets were infantry or cavalry. 1 p. m., General Newton reported that the enemy advanced on General Kimball's front on a run. There was sharp firing, which has now receded. He is of the opinion that the enemy are after Schofield's train. the enemy are dismounted, but he does not know whether they were infantry or cavalry. At once sent word to General Newton to send out two regiments to reconnoiter and see what the enemy meant or were after. 1.20 p. m., received a note from General Wood, who was at Pace's Ferry, stating that he arrived there without serious opposition; took a few prisoners; that the pontoon ridge had been laid and part of one division of the Fourteenth Corps has crossed over, but as General Thomas has directed him to wait until two divisions cross over he cannot get back to his old camp until night-fall. 4 p. m., General Newton reported that he had sent out two regiments on a reconnaissance, and that they had gone about two miles to his front and met nothing but General Schofield's skirmishers; that the enemy's pickets and skirmishers had fallen back from his front, and that said two regiments had just returned. 5.30 p. m., General Wood's division returned from Pace's Ferry. 8 p. m., directed Generals Stanley and Wood each to detail one small regiment as guard for the general supply train of the corps, to be commanded by the senior officer of the two regiments; for them to report at the train to-morrow morning, and for the commanding officer of the same to leave two companies at the trestle bridge at Powers' Ferry as a guard for the same; to encamp on the island. 8.30 p. m., sent circulars to division commanders, directing them that when the troops left their present camp to take the ambulance, ammunition, division, and brigade headquarters train with them; that all other trains, save corps headquarters train would be left in the rear on the north side of the river. 8.30 p. m., directed division commanders to be ready to move at 5 a. m. to-morrow. 11.30 p. m., received Special Field Orders, Numbers 36, headquarters Military Division of the Mississippi (General Sherman), dated July 17, 1864, as follows:*

Memorandum to the foregoing Special Field Orders, received at the same hour-*

11.30 p. m., sent signal dispatch to Major-General Thomas, asking whether the corps is to move in the morning. No orders have been received at corps headquarters save General Sherman's Special Field Orders, Numbers 36.


*For full text of orders and memorandum (here omitted) see Part V.