War of the Rebellion: Serial 072 Page 0897 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.- ARMY OF THE CUMBERLAND.

Search Civil War Official Records

on this side. 8 a. m., received instructions from General Thomas to move the two divisions now in camp near Pace's Ferry to within supporting distance of General Schofield, to assist him in case the enemy attempts to dislodge him. "Let them move to-day." Stanley's division started at 9 a. m. and Wood's at 10 a. m., moving by the most direct roads to Soap Creek Ferry, the point at which General Schofield crossed, and where he has his pontoon bridge over the Chattahoochee. The greater part of General Schofield's command is now in camp on the ridges on the other side of the Chattahoochee. Stanley's and Wood's divisions arrived within half a mile of the ferry (Stanley's at 2 p. m., Wood's at 3 p. m.), and went into camp, Wood on the right and Stanley on the left of the road leading to the pontoon bridge at the ferry. 4 p. m., sent note to General Newton, informing him that we had arrived and gone into camp near Soap Creek, and directed him, as soon as relieved, to move down and take position on the right of General Wood, which would place him about one mile this side of his old camp, telling him that he would probably be relieved by to-morrow evening or next morning. First part of day warm; from 8 to 2 p. m. very hot; 2 p. m. until sundown rain. 8 p. m., reported to General Thomas that the First and Third Divisions had arrived at this place (near Schofield's headquarters) and had gone into camp.

July 11.- 8 a. m., received note from General Newton, dated July 11, stating that last evening General Dodge arrived and relieved his troops, and that they now remain in reserve on the south side of the river; also, that they now remain in reserve on the south side of the river; also, that he fortified his position on the other side of the river, and he wished it so arranged that he could return to his old camp and get the shelter-tents and camp equipage of his men that he left behind. 8 a. m., sent note to Major-General thomas asking to have General Newton returned by to-morrow if possible, as he marched without wagons or shelter-tents, and has left his pickets behind him, &c., and he was given to understand that he would return immediately, hence his want of preparation. 9 a. m., receive note from General Newton, stating that he had been ordered by General Sherman to remain at Roswell Ferry until further orders; requesting to be relieved as soon as possible; also to have the pickets at his old camp relieved; and if he was to stay where he is to have them sent to him. 9 a. m., replied in note to General Newton, saying that a strong application had been made to General Thomas to have him relieved by to-morrow, &c. 9 a. m., sent word to the officer in command of General Newton's picket-line (at the old camp) to withdraw it and place it as a guard over his tents, camp equipage, &c., and word to have his regimental wagons sent to his supply train. 11.45 a. m., received Special Field Orders, Numbers 32, headquarters Military Division of the Mississippi, dated July 10, 1864, as follows:*

12.45 p. m. received note from General Newton saying General Dodge had relieved him, and offered to order him back; that he had withdrawn to the north bank of the river. 1 p. m., directed Newton to join this corps as soon as Dodge had completed his bridge and works, and to take position at the point mentioned in the note of 4 p. m. yesterday, sent to him from these headquarters. 4 p. m., received note from General Thomas, stating that orders had been given for General Newton to return as soon as relieved by General


*For full text of orders (here omitted) see Part IV.