War of the Rebellion: Serial 072 Page 0598 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

fying the position. The eight days spent here were busy ones. We were less than 300 yards from the enemy's works, within range of batteries from their positions. Four guns of Captain Dilger's battery were placed in the center of my front line, upon which the enemy's guns converged their fire, but Captain Dilger, with his usual skill, soon silenced them. The enemy during the night changed their smooth-bores for rifle guns, and the next morning opened with sixteen at once upon Dilger. We were well satisfied to have him cease firing, for two shells were thrown into his embrasures and his works nearly knocked down. The following night the works were repaired, and rifle-pits dug in front of the enemy's guns, and a detail of sharpshooters placed in them. The enemy fired but two shots from this battery the next day, and were completely silenced by the sharpshooters. On the night of the 2nd General McPherson shifted from the extreme left to the right. I was relieved by General Kimball, and with the division moved to the left to form a new line perpendicular to the rear of the extreme left. All night was spent in fortifying. Early next morning we were in pursuit of the enemy, who had abandoned Kenesaw and were in full retreat. We passed through Marietta, and came up with them about three miles south of this place, where they had prepared breast-works. On the 5th the enemy abandoned this position, and fell back to their works, across the Chattahoochee River, leaving a strong rear guard to oppose our progress, and cover their retreat. We followed in close pursuit. In consequence of severe illness, I was forced to ride in an ambulance at the head of my column until the enemy made a stand at the river. Here I mounted my horse, but had scarcely put my men in position when I became so ill that I was carried to my ambulance in the rear of my line. The next morning I turned over the command to Colonel Given, and was taken to the hospital. On the 11th I was sent to the rear.

I cannot close this report without expressing my satisfaction of the conduct of my officers and men during this arduous campaign. They, without a murmur of complaint, either in sunshine or storm, day or night, marched, worked, and fought with an efficiency and cheerfulness worthy the gratitude of the country. At no time during the campaign were they ever driven from a position, or failed to perform all that was expected of them. I would in an especial manner express my satisfaction and gratitude to the gentleman of my staff-Lieutenant Devol, acting assistant adjutant-general; Captain Markland, inspector; Lieutenant Dewey, aide-de-camp; Lieutenant Lamb, provost-marshal; Captain Clark, acting assistant quartermaster; Captain Smith, acting commissary of subsistence-who performed their appropriate duties in a manner worthy of all praise. We captured prisoners, and turned them over to the proper authorities. My loss in the campaign in killed and wounded is only 256. When the number and severity of the engagements in which we participated are considered, this is a very gratifying report. I send with this a list of the names of killed and wounded.*

Respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel Thirty-eighth Indiana, Commanding Third Brigade.

Lieutenant W. J. LYSTER,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, First Div., 14th Army Corps.


*Not found.