enemy in this valley to-day or to-morrow. Further division of my small force might endanger both Staunton and Lynchburg. My orders from General Lee give me discretion. Telegraph me last news from Lynchburg and beyond. I will wait two or three hours this morning to hear from you and from present front.
JOHN C. BRECKINRIDGE,
RICHMOND, VA., May 14, 1864-12.45 o'clock.
(Received 2 a. m.)
General J. C. BRECKINRIDGE,
No re-enforcements can be supplied McCausland from here. William E. Jones ought to co-operate with him, if practicable. Butler and Gillmore are before Drewry's Bluff, and all Grant's cavalry on north side the James River near Richmond. Every railroad leading into the city is cut. The forces in Western Virginia and East Tennessee must provide for any emergency there.
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
May `14, 1864.
If you can drive back the different expeditions threatening the Valley it would be very desirable for you to join me with your whole force.
R. E. LEE,
NEW MARKET, VA., May 14, 1864.
I have nothing from the front this morning. Enemy's cavalry were hovering about me all day yesterday, and I was kept in line of battle several hours. Prisoners report their infantry and artillery as under marching orders at 7 a. m. yesterday. I have not been able to ascertain whether they have left Woodstock. The weather prevents observations by signal corps. My opinion is that the enemy has fallen back. Will ascertain to-day and report.
J. D. IMBODEN,
CHRISTIANSBURG, May 14, 1864.
General S. COOPER,
Adjutant and Inspector-General.
The enemy has gone in the direction of Monroe. The commands of French and Jackson intercepted Averell's command near Newport, and scattered it in the mountains. The main body, under Crook, will reach Greenbrier to-day. Colonel W. L. Jackson's bri-