War of the Rebellion: Serial 070 Page 0153 Chapter XLIX. THE LYNCHBURG CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

mens were so limited also, that it was utterly impossible to remove everything. Another disadvantage was that, having been in command of the post brief a time, I did know what was here, and had no time for inquiries. Nearly all the wagons of the post quartermaster had been taken for the newly arrived troops, who came un furnished with transportation. The precautionary measures of Saturday enabled us to get off 900 sacks of salt, a large lot of leather, &c. All the ammunition was saved, all the bacon, and most of the quartermaster's stores. At 11 p. m. June 5 I got an order from Brigadier-General Vaughn, in reply to a communication of mine, returning to Waynesborough. This is the only order of any description, the only warning or notice I received from any one. I inclose a report, which is as accurate as I am to make, of what was left here. I did not destroy what was left, because I could not do so without destroying the buildings, unless I moved the things out, for which I had no time, but the enemy carried nothing off; they destroyed all. I gave a trusty gentleman of the town authority to give to citizens, before the enemy got in, what they wanted. He distributed all the commissary and some of the quartermaster's stores, and saved, by claiming it as his own, about a hogshead of sugar. The depot, woolen factory, Government stables, steam-mill, wagon shops, and store-houses for tax in kind, were burned. The quartermaster's, commissary, and ordnance buildings were not burned, being private property. The railroad was effectually destroyed for three miles, and partially for three more. The bridge at Christian's Creek, about fifty feet long, was burned. The telegraph destroyed for six miles; that I have repaired. The hands are slowly at work on the railroad. At the rate they are moving it will take a month or more to repair it. I would respectfully suggest that the railroad company be requested to employ C. R. Mason, of this place, as the most suitable person to undertake the repairs of this road.

Having no instructions, I had to use own judgment about the time of leaving, and the direction the trains should be sent. Such things as could be gotten on the cars was sent to Lynchburg; the commissary supplies I sent to General Vaughan, and all the other wagon trains across the Blue Ridge, at Tye River Gap, into Melson County, not wishing to encumber the army with a train it could not use. I regarded that as a point safe from every attack, at least until the quartermaster could receive orders from the brigadier-general commanding. With these I sent the surplus hospital train, the convalescents, negroes, &c.

I left at daylight on Monday morning, after everything was gone. The enemy on the 10th captured a small portion of the quartermaster's train, which un fortunately had with it the quartermaster and commissary official papers, all of which were burned. Our sick and wounded at the hospital, with attendants, were paroled by the enemy. They left 300 wounded and forty nurses here of their own, with one assistant surgeon. Upon arriving on the 12th I had no guard, and did not know whether we would hold the place or not, so to be at least even with the Yankees I paroled all of them. I inclose a copy of the parole,* the last clause added because being entirely alone here, I wished to keep those who were able to do so from run-


*See p. 152.