War of the Rebellion: Serial 070 Page 0085 Chapter XLIX. ENGAGEMENT AT NEW MARKET, VA.

Search Civil War Official Records

color bearer to march directly there without halting, and, after getting our of fire, rode to the rear and went round into the pike and toward the front looking for stragglers. I saw none, and, meeting the colors, found most of the regiment with them. The new line was formed under the personal supervision of Generals Sigel, stahel, and Sullivan. The pursuit of the enemy was checked and the command was gallantly withdrawn along the single road and across the narrow bridge into Mount Jackson in the most admirable order and without a single casualty. That night we stood in line until along about 9 o'clock; marched behind the wagon train till 6 o'clock the next morning, and reached Strasburg about 5 p. m. of Monday, having been fifty-five hours almost continuously marching or under arms in a constant and pouring storm. The march in that time was fifty-two miles.

I can only say for the regiment that the coolness and gallantry of the officers filled me with admiration, and I cannot recall, without deep emotion, the cheerful endurance by the men of the extraordinary hardships of the march, and the spontaneous and hearty devotion with which they offered their lives to their country. The same willing and cheerful obedience which has always characterized them in camp distinguished them in the field, while they added to it a fire and heroism which cannot be excelled.

I cannot particularize where all did so well. Conspicuous only perhaps from their more exposed position were Color-Sergt. John E. Calligan; Corporal Pepper, bearer of the State flag, hit four times and struck to the ground; Corporal Wishart, who took the colors from his hands and bore them the remainder of the day, and Captain Bacon, of the color company, who fell directly behind his colors while keeping his ranks steady as on parade. I am under deep obligations to Lieutenant-Colonel Lincoln and Adjt. A. C. Walker for their efficient services and great gallantry on the field.

As many of the officers were absent on detailed service, I subjoin a list of those on the field: Colonel George D. Wells, Lieutenant-Colonel Lincoln (wounded and a prisoner), Surg. R. R. Clark, Adjt. A. C. Walker, Assistant Surgeon Smith, Assistant Surgeon Allen (left in care of wounded at Mount Jackson), Captains Potter, Thompson, Fox (killed),* Soley, Willard (wounded), Bacon (killed), Leach, Lovell, Chauncey (prisoner); First Lieutenants Goodrich (wounded), Elwell, Ripley; Second Lieuts. R. W. Walker (killed)* Ammidown (prisoner), Dempsey, M. E. Walker, Belser, Murdock (wounded), Kennicutt (wounded), and Major Pratt, on General Stahel's staff; Lieutenant Bacon, on Colonel Thoburn's staff, and Lieutenant Macomber, in division pioneer corps.

Company C was sent off to skirmish on the right of the line, and lost half its numbers prisoners, together with its two officers. I believe these are the only men left unwounded in the enemy's hands. The detaching of this company with other details left me about 450 muskets in line. Of these the casualties foot up over 200 killed and wounded. Five out of every six who went in have the marks of bullets somewhere. Dr. Clark has sent Dr. Dale a list of casualties as near as can be ascertained. Our wounded left behind are very comfortable and well treated.

I have to regret the loss of some of the most noble and gallant spirits of my command. General Sigel was on his horse on the right


*Error. Fox was mustered out May 18, 1865, and Walker November 4, 1864.