War of the Rebellion: Serial 068 Page 0738 OPERATIONS IN SE. VA. AND N. C. Chapter XLVIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

difficulty that supplies can be landed for the army. Moreover, should the services of the gun-boats be necessary for the protection of the depot, it would be impossible for them to do so, as they cannot approach within effective range. The wharf is a very contracted and frail affair; gave way yesterday, thereby delaying operations for nearly one-half the day, trains reaching near half way to Fredericksburg necessarily awaiting for hours before they can be unloaded. I am told by the naval commander the facilities for landing at Aquia Creek are very good, with two fathoms of water up to the wharf. Should we have another storm such as we had last night I fear it would be difficult, if not impracticable, to keep the trains running with sufficient supplies for the army.

I have the honor, &c.,


Brigadier-General, Commanding.


Belle Plain, Va., May 13, 1864.

Colonel E. SCHRIVER:

COLONEL: A battalion of the Veteran Reserve Corps, 500 strong, is now en route to Fredericksburg. These troops will relieve the Fifty-seventh New York Infantry mentioned in yours of this date.

I have the honor to be,


Brigadier-General, Commanding.

BALTIMORE, May 13, 1864.

(Received 6.20 p.m.)

Major General H. W. HALLECK,

Chief of Staff:

Porter's regiment has been ready to move several days. It shall go instantly a relieving regiment arrives.



WASHINGTON, D. C., May 13, 1864-6 a.m.

Major-General BUTLER,

In the Field, (via Fortress Monroe):

Your dispatch of yesterday 3.30 has been forwarded to General Grant. A dispatch just received from the battle-field reports a general attack by Grant at 6 a.m., in which great success was achieved. Hancock had captured Major General Edward Johnson's division, taken him and Early and forty cannon, and the prisoners were counted by thousands. Nothing has been heard for two days from General Sherman. The lines are broken by a heavy storm.