GENERAL FIELD ORDERS, HDQRS. 17TH ARMY CORPS,
Numbers 7. Canton, Miss., February 29, 1864.
This command will move to-morrow on the Livingston road, following the Sixteenth Army Corps, as follows:
1. The Fourth Division Brigadier-General Crocker commanding, will be ready to march at 7 o'clock and will move so as to follow immediately in rear of the rear division of the Sixteenth Army Corps.
2. The Third Division, Brigadier-General Leggett commanding, will be ready to march at 7.45 a. m., and will follow immediately in rear of the Fourth Division.
3. The Third Brigade, First Division, Brigadier-General Chambers commanding, will be ready to march at 8.15 a.m., and will follow immediately in rear of the Third Division, and constitute the rear guard of the infantry. A section of artillery from the Third Division (rifled pieces if practicable) with be detailed by Brigadier-General Leggett to Brigadier-General Chambers to accompany his brigade. The wagons of this brigade will move in front.
4. The cavalry brigade, Lieutenant-Colonel Kerr commanding, will constitute the extreme rear guard of the column, and will move so as to keep about a mile and a half in rear of the infantry column. The train of this brigade, except two ammunition wagons, will be sent forward to join the train of the Third Division.
5. Division and brigade commanders will see that their commands are provided with three day's rations in haversacks.
By order of Major-General McPherson:
Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General.
SPECIAL ORDERS, HEADQUARTERS OF THE ARMY,
Numbers 97. Washington, February 29, 1864.
1. Brigadier General John M. Corse, U. S. Volunteers, will report in person without delay for duty to the commanding general Army of the Tennessee.
* * * *
By command of Major-General Halleck:
W. A. NICHOLS,
Abstract from returns of the Department of the Cumberland, Major General George H. Thomas, U. S. Army, commanding, for the month of February 1864.
Present for duty.
Command. Officers. Men. Aggregate Aggregate
General 77 685 930 1,178
Headquarters 7 .......... 7 .........
First 318 6,230 7,582 12,510
Second 182 3,063 3,741 6,984
Third 283 5,194 6,984 11.055
Total Fourth 790 14.487 30.557 ........
Pieces of Artillery.
Command. Heavy. Field. Headquarters.
General ......... ......... Chattanooga,
): Loudon, Tenn.
Headquarters ......... .........
First ......... 18 Blue Springs,
Second ....... 6 Loudon, Tenn.
Third ....... 6 New Market,
Total Fourth ....... 30