War of the Rebellion: Serial 057 Page 0452 KY., SW. VA., TENN., MISS., ALA., AND N. GA. Chapter XLIV.

Search Civil War Official Records

the town was picketed and held by King's brigade. In posting his pickets on the high bluff south of the pass Lieutenant Ayres, adjutant Nineteenth [U. S.] Infantry, was captured by a few of the enemy, who fled with him in the direction of Tunnel Hill.

February 23, the mounted force was again placed in advance, followed by my division, led by Hambright's brigade.

At Catoosa Station, 3 miles south of Ringgold, the rebel cavalry made a feeble stand, but were driven from point to point, continually forced back until they reached the neighborhood of Tunnel Hill, where they were re-enforced, and greatly outnumbered our mounted force. Carlin was moved forward to support Harrison with his brigade, which for the occasion was re-enforced by the Nineteenth Illinois to replace the Second Ohio, which had been temporarily withdrawn, by direction of the corps commander, to occupy a hill to the right, to guard that flank. This duty, like all duty required of General Carlin, was performed promptly, and with his usual good judgment he made the following dispositions when he arrived near the enemy: The four regiments of his brigade were formed in single line of battle, the Eighty-eighth Indiana on the right of the road, the Ninety-fourth Ohio, Tenth Wisconsin, and Nineteenth Illinois on the left.

As soon as his skirmishers were thrown out, the command moved forward, Harrison moving on the road. Soon the skirmishers became engaged, but the resistance was feeble. The rebels continued to fall back for about 2 miles, where they had constructed temporary breast-works of rails, and here they determined on a vigorous resistance.

Carlin ordered the Eighty-eighth Indiana to advance under cover of the woods toward the right and rear of the line of works, and as soon as their movements were discovered the enemy saw he was flanked, fired one volley, and ingloriously fled. The pursuit was continued to Tunnel Hill. The infantry was halted and Harrison at the head of 25 of his men charged and drove about 500 cavalry through town and to the hills beyond, from which the enemy opened upon us with artillery. Not knowing the extent of the force in that neighborhood, and it being near dark, and having one brigade only, I deemed it advisable to push the pursuit no farther, but to fall back to the main body near Catoosa.

February 24, the division again moved to Tunnel Hill, Carlin in advance, followed by King and Hambrgiht. On arriving near Tunnel Hill the enemy opened upon us with artillery. I had none to reply, as, owing tot he neglect of Lieutenant Harris, commanding the section of First Michigan Artillery,* his animals, being without at Ringgold. As soon as the firing commenced I halted Carlin's brigade, and sent Hambright and King to the left to take possession of the heights to the right and left of the position held by the artillery. While these preliminaries were being arranged the major-general commanding corps arrived, who approved of my dispositions and sent a brigade of Davis' division to the left of King. The position was easily taken, and the enemy was soon in full retreat, followed by Davis' division, supported by King's brigade. Here I encamped Carlin and Hambright for the night. February 25, constant skirmishing kept up all day between Davis and rebel skirmish lines, and late in the evening I ordered Hambright and King to relieve General Davis' line. Carlin was held in reserve.


*Battery A, First Michigan Light Artillery.