War of the Rebellion: Serial 055 Page 0644 KY.,SW. VA.,Tennessee,MISS.,N. ALA.,AND N. GA. Chapter XLIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

tion of the disposition of my command, and reported to Major-General Sherman, who approved of the disposition. I learned that General Matthies had been ordered to support Colonel Loomis, who had advanced to a point up the valley, opposite the tunnel. I at once rode out to the front with my staff officers to examine the position of the enemy, and felt confident that he would not abandon his position to attack us in the valley, and supposing General Matthies to be supporting Colonel Loomis, I sent him an order by Captain Lydick, one of my aides, not to advance until he received orders from me. The enemy at this time were moving in the direction of the center in great force, and had four pieces of artillery in position, commanding Tunnel Hill. At about 2 p. m. I saw troops ascending Tunnel Hill, which I then supposed to be Colonel Loomis' brigade, and at the same time discovered the enemy had about-faced on the ridge, and were moving back to Tunnel Hill in solid column. I at once sent one of my aides, Captain Osborne, to inform General Ewing that the enemy were massing in large force on Tunnel Hill, and at the same time was informed that it was General Matthies' brigade that was ascending the hill. Being informed that the Eleventh Army Corps were making an attack in the rear, I at once ordered Colonel Raum to the support of General Matthies, who had now nearly reached the summit followed by Colonel Raum, and were contesting the ground for nearly an hour, when the enemy, heavily massed, charged upon our lines, at the same time bringing a gun within 200 yards of our right flank, and discharged several rounds of grape into ranks, which compelled the two brigades to fall back with heavy loss.

The Tenth Missouri Infantry, Colonel Deimling commanding, continued to engage the enemy with effect, until they were withdrawn. It is believed that all our wounded were recovered, although some of them not until next morning.

November 26, in compliance with orders received from Major-General Blair, I followed the Eleventh Army Corps in pursuit of the enemy, arriving at Graysville, Ga., November 28; nothing of interest transpired except the capture of a few stragglers, 28 in number; reported to the provost-marshal. I could pursue no farther for want of supplies, and was ordered to return to camp near Chattanooga. There were 480 stand of arms of various caliber, together with accouterments, picked up on Tunnel Hill, and turned over to the ordnance officer at Chattanooga.

Our burial parties report 107 rebels buried on the hill, from which it will be seen that their casualties were larger than ours, which are 89 killed, 288 wounded, and 122 missing (see detailed report* forwarded). Twenty-five of our wounded reported have died in hospital since we left Chattanooga. And while rejoicing at our success over the enemy, we sympathize with the bereaved at home, trusting that the time will soon come when such sacrifice of life for the maintenance of our country and flag will be no longer required.

I am much indebted to Brigadier General C. L. Matthies, commanding Third Brigade, Colonel J. I. Alexander, commanding First Brigade, and Colonel G. B. Raum, commanding Second Brigade, as well as to the field and line officers of the division, for their hearty co-operation, and to the men for their cheerful compliance with all orders; their endurance amid the discomforts of an active campaign, without food,


*Nominal list omitted.