War of the Rebellion: Serial 055 Page 0523 Chapter XLIII. CHATTANOOGA-RINGGOLD CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

regiment was there assigned to the center of the first line, the Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry on my right and the Ninety-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry on my left. Two companies (B and H) were thrown forward as skirmishers; remained there until 3 o'clock; moved foward a short distance, halted, deployed, and immediately again moved in line of battle through a skirt of woods.

As soon as we reached the open ground, the enemy opened on us with artillery from the top of Missionary Ridge. We were then ordered to double-quick, which we did, passing the second line off the enemy's breastworks, which was occupied by General Beatty's brigade; reached the base of the ridge, where also were some troops under cover. We rushed up the ridge as fast as possible, under a terrible enfilading fire from right and left and front. Near the top, and about 6 rods from the enemy's breastworks, we passed over, I think, the Ninth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, reaching the breastworks where the enemy lay. A terrible-almost hand-to-hand-fight ensued. Stubbornly did the enemy contest the works. There we took a number of prisoners, which I passed to the rear without a guard.

Those of them who did escape made a second stand on the crest, from 4 to 6 rods beyond, but they were at once killed, captured, or routed. On our left was heavy force of the enemy's infantry and two pieces of artillery. The infantry kept up a constant fire; the artillery fired two rounds, when we made a charge on it and captured two pieces, but not until they had succeeded in getting them some distance down the eastern slope to their rear. The pieces were unlimbered and immediately hauled back to the top of the ridge by the men and placed in position. The taking of the artillery was done mainly under the superintendence of Sergeant Adney, of Company B, and Sergeant Halliday, of Company H. Some men from the Eleventh and Ninety-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry assisted in hauling the guns back. The men thought it best by this time to find their regiment, and left the guns, which fell into the hands of the Second and Third Brigades of our division, who, by this time, had come up. I since have learned that they claimed the taking of them, but the above are the facts in the case and can be substantiated. at dusk we went into position on a spur of the ridge farther to the right near the woods, and remained There one hour, when we were ordered to fall in, and march back to the foot of the western side of the ridge, where we took position facing northeastward, and remained till about 9 a. m. of the 26th, when we again crossed the ridge and went on a reconnaissance about 2 miles to the front; saw no enemy, and returned by the main road to the top of the ridge. From there we marched some 7 miles, and bivouacked on the Rossville and Ringgold road. Marched the morning of the 27th, at 3 o'clock, for Ringgold via Graysville, arriving at the former place at 3 p. m. Remained there till the morning of the 29th, when we returned to camp via Rossville. Arrived about dark.

Captain J. C. Selby, Company K, was wounded in the right arm (which has since been amputated) near a log cabin to the left of where we went up the ridge. First Lieutenant O. J. Wood, Company B (then in command of the company), seriously wounded, the ball passing from left to right side and through the right lung; Second Lieutenant J. M. Hanlin, slightly wounded in leg.

Annexed I send a list* of the casualties of enlisted men. It would


*Embodied in revised statement, p. 85.