War of the Rebellion: Serial 053 Page 0653 Chapter XLII. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.- CONFEDERATE.

Search Civil War Official Records

indicate its purport. I shall withdraw the troops from this to the line of the Watauga and Holston to await the re-enforcements and be in better position to meet and advance on Saltville. No reliable information of the movements of the enemy from Cumberland Gap. Picket skirmishing in front every day. Our pickets behaving well.



JONESBOROUGH, September 15, 1863.

Captain J. H. GIBBONEY,

Assistant Quartermaster, Wytheville:

Deliver the following to General Corse or officer commanding en route from Lynchburg to report to me, viz:


September 15, 1863.

Brigadier-General CORSE, or

Officer Commanding Troops en route from Richmond to report to me:

You will proceed with your command without delay to Zollicoffer, Tenn., unless you receive information from Brigadier-General Wharton that the enemy is moving in force on Saltville. If you receive such information, proceed with your command to Saltville, assume command, and defend the place. Report to me by telegraph at Zollicoffer. If you have the cipher used at the War Office, use it to communicate with me.



MONTGOMERY, September 16, 1863.

General S. COOPER,


On account of arrival of Virginia troops, I have desired General Bragg to send back the two brigades sent by me to Atlanta.

J. E. J.

RICHMOND, September 16, 1863.

General J. E. JOHNSTON:

In the contingency contemplated by your dispatch of 13th, retain Loring and order him to report to War Department. Can you not in such contingency, or previously, if your judgment approve, assign French to command or duty west of Pearl River? His knowledge of that country induced his assignment with your command.


Adjutant and Inspector General.

MONTGOMERY, September 16, 1863.

General S. COOPER,


There are no troops west of Pearl River except cavalry, under General Lee, so that I cannot make a command there for Major-