War of the Rebellion: Serial 051 Page 0675 Chapter XIII. WHEELER AND RODDEY'S RAID.

Search Civil War Official Records

Numbers 4.

Report of Colonel Edward M. McCook, Second Indiana Cavalry, commanding First Cavalry Division.


Winchester, Tenn., October 23, 1863.

MAJOR: I have the honor to report that at 11 a. m. of the 1st instant I received a dispatch, copy of which is herewith inclosed,* from department headquarters informing me that the enemy had crossed the Tennessee River in heavy force at or near Washington, with designs upon our trains and communications, and ordering me to move to Anderson's Cross-Roads. I was at that time, with three regiments, First Wisconsin, Second and Fourth Indiana, and one section of a battery, Lieutenant Newell commanding, of the Second Brigade, at Bridgeport, Ala., 45 miles from that point. The other regiment of that brigade (Second East Tennessee) was guarding fords and ferries in the vicinity of Jasper. The First Brigade, with the exception of the Second Michigan, which was at Eyler's and Rankin's Ferries, was at Caperton's Ferry, where they had been placed, pursuant to orders, to observe the movements of the enemy and prevent his crossing in that vicinity. The Third Brigade was at Bellefonte, except the Fifth Kentucky, which was at Kelley's Ferry. I immediately moved with the three regiments and section of artillery of the Second Brigade, above named, in the direction of Anderson's Cross-Roads, at the same time dispatching orders to Colonel Campbell to move his command with all possible haste and join me at Jasper, giving directions to Colonel Watkins, commanding Third Brigade, to move up to Caperton's

I moved at 1 p. m., expecting to reach Anderson's by daylight, but owing to a heavy and incessant fall of rain, which continued during the whole day and night, the roads became so slippery and full of water that I did not reach Jasper sooner than 8.30 p. m. Expecting to be joined by the First Brigade, I halted, and bivouacked for the night.

On the morning of the 2nd, marched at daylight, and at 8 a. m. I dispatched Colonel Campbell again to make all possible speed in overtaking me. At 1 p. m. a heavy column of smoke was observed in the direction of Anderson's Cross-Roads, and a short time after, citizens brought the intelligence that the train had been attacked by a large cavalry force, and was then burning. I moved the command forward at a trot to a point 4 miles from the cross-roads, where I took a by-road across the country, leaving the Fourth Indiana on the main Jasper and Dunlap road to observe any movements that might be made from the direction of Dunlap, and moved on rapidly with the First Wisconsin, Second Indiana, and section of Newell's battery, in the direction of the enemy. The First Wisconsin encountered a portion of the enemy's force 2 miles south of the cross-roads, and immediately charged, capturing a number of prisoners, and driving them past the burning train upon their main force, which was 1 mile north of the cross-roads, in line of battle. I ordered the Second Indiana to take position, with the right resting upon the base of the mountain, forming one battalion front, with the other two supporting a short distance in the rear, and formed the First Wisconsin on their left in a similar manner. A simultaneous charge was ordered


*See Part IV, p. 21.