War of the Rebellion: Serial 051 Page 0388 KY.,SW.VA.,TENN.,MISS.,N.ALA.,AND N.GA. Chapter XLII.

Search Civil War Official Records


Tabular statement of the number of officers and men carried into the battle of Chickamauga by the regiments of Bate's brigade on each day of the fight.

September 18. September 19.

Command. Officer Men Officer Men

s s

37th Georgia Regiment 30 395 30 393

20th Tennessee Regiment 31 152 31 152

15th and 37th Tennessee 30 200 30 200


58th Alabama Regiment 34 253 34 250

Caswell's sharpshooters 7 85 7 85

Total infantry 132 1,085 132 1,080

Eufaula Battery 3 103 3 101

Grand total 135 1,188 135 1,181

September 20.

Command. Officers Men

37th Georgia Regiment 23 240

20th Tennessee Regiment 15 73

15th and 37th Tennessee Regiments 23 172

58th Alabama Regiment 29 201

Caswell's sharpshooters 5 49

Total infantry 95 735

Eufaula Battery 3 97

Grand total 98 832


Respectfully submitted.




Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

No. 378.

Report of Colonel Bushrod Jones, Fifty-eighth Alabama Infantry.


Near Chattanooga, Tenn., September 29, 1863.

MAJOR:In obedience to General Orders, No.-, I respectfully submit the following report of the action of my command in the skirmish on the 18th instant and in the battle of Chickamauga on the 19th and 20th instant:

About 3 p.m. on the 18th instant, the regiment met the advance of the enemy near Pea Vine Creek and was very heavily shelled for an hour or more, but the enemy were too distant for the use of small-arms. One man (Tom Mize, of Company A, int the infirmary corps) killed was the only loss sustained. The bearing of both officers and men was entirely satisfactory.

The next morning about 9 o'clock, after having crossed the Chickamauga and moved forward in line of battle a mile or more, we were again shelled by the enemy about an hour. R. J. Turner, assistant surgeon, was seriously stunned and shocked by the explosion of a shell and slightly wounded in the head by splinters. He was borne insensible from the field, but has since recovered and returned to duty.

The battle had already opened on the right, and the roar of small-arms was almost incessant, varied by rapid peals of artillery. We were moved with the brigade by the right flank about a mile, and at 1 p.m. were in position in supporting distance of the brigade on the front line, then actively engaged with the enemy. For two hours we were under a very heavy fire of grape and shells. Several men were wounded, none killed.

At 3 p.m. we were ordered forward to relieve the brigade, then