War of the Rebellion: Serial 050 Page 0293 Chapter XLII. THE CHICKAMAUGA CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

an hour. Skirmishing was then heard on our right flank; the regiment changed front forward, facing a corn-field through which the enemy was coming massed in heavy force. Immediately the engagement was renewed with great fury, the enemy pressing forward heavily on the right. So overwhelming was his force that the right of the brigade gave way by regiments, successively, until the Second Ohio, being on the left, retired, after all the regiments on the right had been driven from their position. In falling back from this position we expected to find a line of our troops supporting us, behind which the regiment would halt. In this we were disappointed, and the result was that the line retired thereafter in considerable confusion, but the regiment was rallied about half a mile to the rear. During this engagement Lieutenant-Colonel Maxwell was wounded, and the command devolved on Major Beatty. Here also the regiment lost heavily, particularly in missing, most of whom fell into the hands of the enemy. In the afternoon the regiment remained in line of battle, and was in the rear of General Johnson's division when the latter was attacked by the enemy, at nightfall. After that engagement ceased, the brigade was moved to an open field, where it bivouacked for the night.

On the morning of Sunday, the 20th, at daybreak, the regiment marched back, and with the brigade and division was formed in order of battle on the crest of a hill; the enemy approached in front, feeling our position, but retired after a few shots were fired. We could see his flags. He then moved over on our left, and very soon heavy firing commenced there and in our front. The Second Ohio advanced to the front line, on the left of the Thirty-third Ohio, in fine spirits, and opened a steady and deadly fire, shouting and cheering the meanwhile with the greatest enthusiasm. Just as we advanced to this position a portion of the regular brigade gave way on our left, leaving for a time the Second Ohio alone on that part of the field, supported, however, by the Thirty-third Ohio. Our regiment took no notice of the vacancy, but rather redoubled their firing and cheering. The regulars were rallied and returned to their position. The firing on this part of the field was steady and unceasing for two hours and a half. Our line was held steadfastly; not an inch of ground was yielded. On the left of us our troops, after alternately advancing and retiring, finally drove the enemy from the field in front and the firing nearly ceased about 1 p.m. We threw up a slight breastwork meanwhile in our front, and threw skirmishers forward. About 4.30 or 5 p.m. our skirmishers were driven in, and the battle was immediately renewed with great fury. Heavy columns of the enemy with artillery opened a tremendous fire all along the line, but their attack was steadfastly resisted; no impression whatever was made on our line, which remained unbroken some time after the troops on the right of our division gave way and retired. The falling back of the right forced us to retire to prevent capture. Here again the regiment in retiring, became confused, and lost many men.

Major Beatty, who commanded during the day, was wounded and taken prisoner. The army during that night retired toward Chattanooga, halted about midnight, and the regiment was again collected as far as possible. On the morning of the 22nd we entered Chattanooga.

Inclosed herewith is a statement of the loss of the regiment, as accurate as it can be now prepared.*


*See revised statement, p. 171.