War of the Rebellion: Serial 046 Page 0565 Chapter XL. OPERATIONS ON MORRIS ISLAND, S. C.

Search Civil War Official Records

Captain B. E. Dickson's company (E), Second South Carolina Artillery. Stallings' company sent to Morris Island.

July 30.-Firing continued with same results. Fuses very bad-worthless. Enemy replying in the afternoon.

July 31.-Firing continued. Directed to right and left of Graham's headquarters. Fuses no better.

August 1.-Firing continued as on yesterday, with same results.

August 1, 2.-Fired during the night at fifteen-minute intervals, ceasing at 6 a. m. About noon commenced firing with the columbiads, firing three discharges to ascertain range. At 2 p. m. commencedagain with columbiads, firing rapidly some twenty-five times. Continued the fire with mortars, at from five to fifteen minute intervals, till midnight. Range generally good. Shells burst pretty well. Mortar fire excellent.

August 3.-No record.

August 4.-Firing very little during the day. Chiefly from mortar battery. Toward evening increased in rapidity. At night fired at fifteen-minute intervals at Black Island and the batteries on left of Graham's headquarters.

August 5.-No record.

August 6.-Commenced firing at 6 p. m. (August 5), from mortars, and continued till 5 o'clock this morning. Intervals, fifteen minutes.

August 7.-No firing until evening. Commenced t 6 p. m., with columbiads and mortars, at the works on Morris Island. The columbiads ceased at 7.30 p. m. Mortars continued, at fifteen-minute intervals, during the night.

August 8.-Opened with columbiads at 5 p. m. at the Morris Island works. Ceased at 7 p. m. with columbiads and opened with mortars, which fired at fifteen-minute intervals through the night.

August 9.-Fired from 6 to 7 p. m., with columbiads and mortars, at the Morris Island works. Continued the fire with mortars, at intervals of fifteen minutes, during the night.

August 10.-Opened fire with columbiads at 11 a. m., and continued till 11 p. m., on the enemy's works on Morris Island. Commenced with mortars at 6 p. m., and continued till morning at intervals of twelve minutes.

August 11, 12.-No record.

August 13.-No firing till 5 p. m., when columbiads commenced and fired a few shots. Mortars commenced at 6.30 p. m., and fired all night at ten-minute intervals.

August 14.-The day passed off comparatively quiet at this point. At 6 a. m. a few mortars commenced, and continued at intervals of fifteen minutes through the night. The amount of damage done the [enemy] unknown, but the firing was very good.

August 15.-Very little firing on either side. A few rounds from columbiads in the afternoon, but ceased at night. Commenced with mortars at 6.30 p. m., and continued through the night at interval of ten minutes.

August 16.-At 4 p. m. fired a few rounds from columbiads. Commenced firing with mortars at 6.30 p. m., continued at intervals of fifteen minutes during the night.

August 17.-Commenced firing with columbiads and mortars at 6.30, and continued very rapidly until 1 o'clock, when ceased with mortars and continued with columbiads until evening. An occasional mortar was fired through the night; all on the enemy's batteries on Morris Island.