War of the Rebellion: Serial 044 Page 0988 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

it impossible to proceed farther, and there being much danger, if the rain continued, that the bridge over Gardner's Creek might be washed away, I concluded to return to Jamesville before the passage was made impracticable, which was done during a most appalling thunderstorm. On arriving at the bridge, I found that my apprehension had been well founded, for in a few hours later a passage would have been impossible. The country was in great alarm at our approach, and I am confident that no troops have been sent away, as they expected to be attacked by my command at Rainbow Bluff. After resting the troops, who had on Monday made a long and fatiguing march, I returned safely to this place on the evening of the 28th, encountering on the way another furious storm.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

Your obedient servant,


Colonel, Commanding Brigade.


Assistant Adjutant-General.

JULY 28-August 3, 1863. -Mosby's operations about Fairfax Court-House, and skirmish near Aldie, Va.


Numbers 1. -Brig. General Rufus King, U. S. Army.

Numbers 2. -Colonel Charles R. Lowell, jr., Second Massachusetts Cavalry.

Numbers 3. -Major John S. Mosby, C. S. Army.

Numbers l. Reports of Brigadier General Rufus King, U. S. Army.

CENTREVILLE, July 31, 1863.

(Received 10. 50 a. m.)

SIR: Mosby with 50 or 60 men made a raid into Fairfax Court-House last night, and captured a number of settlers and their teams. I sent out my cavalry last evening, hearing that Mosby was in the vicinity, and have some hopes of intercepting him. The telegraph communication between here and Fairfax Station was cut off, so that no communication could reach me.



Colonel J. H. TAYLOR,

Chief of Staff.

CENTREVILLE, VA., July 31, 1863-4. 30 p. m.

(Received 5 p. m.)

SIR: My cavalry intercepted Mosby on his return from Fairfax Court-House, and, after a sharp skirmish, drove him off, recapturing