War of the Rebellion: Serial 044 Page 0910 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

would be followed by further attacks in that quarter, and, upon the application of the president of that company, and by direction of the sheriff, a force was gotten in readiness for its protection, consisting of an artillery detachment from the Seventieth Regiment, under the command of Major [Robert] Smith, and infantry from the city armory, under Captain Thorn-which force was sent on the night of the 16th of July, by water, to the Atlantic dock. Upon its arrival, a considerable number of persons were found assembled for some purpose, but no attack was made on the military force, nor was there any attempt made to destroy property. From this time until the 31st of July, a guard was regularly kept at the Atlantic dock, supplied at times from this command, and at other times from the Seventy-fourth Regiment National Guard, of Buffalo, by order of the United States military commandant in New York.

The riots in New York continued on the 15th, 16th, and 17th of July, and the intense excitement of our citizens naturally arising from the excesses in New York City was augmented by reports, credited at the time, of the existence of large organizations of men in various parts of the city of Brooklyn, provided with arms, and determined not only to resist the execution of the conscription law, but to burn and destroy property, and to maltreat and murder obnoxious persons. The existence of such organizations has never been established by legal evidence, that I am aware of; but the alleged revelation of the contemplated action of such bodies was calculated to produce and continue the apprehensions of the citizens and authorities for the peace and safety of the city; and; perhaps, no just conception of the necessity or propriety of the preparations to guard against a riot can be formed without taking into account this element of disquietude and alarm.

On the morning of the 19th of July, Brigadier-General Crooke arrived in Brooklyn with the Thirteenth and Twenty-eighth Regiments National Guard. These regiments were directed by General Canby, United States commandant in New York, by request of His Excellency, to report to me for orders. On the afternoon of the same day, Brigadier-General Smith arrived in this city with the Twenty-third, Fifty-second, and Fifty-sixth Regiments, and the Forty-seventh Regiment arrived shortly after, all being directed by General Canby to report to me; and these officers and regiments were immediately directed by me, alter a proper dismissal for rest, to perform duty under the calls of the civil authorities; and they were continued on duty until the 31st day of July, when they were dismissed, with the exception of the necessary guards for the arsenal and regimental armories, by the orders of the sheriff and police commissioners.

During this period, from the 20th to the 30th July, inclusive, the troops were kept on duty during stated hours, and were ordered to so assemble and dismiss daily that a sufficient force was always held in hand to check disturbance until the residue could be assembled. Signals were arranged for a prompt assembly of the whole force, if needed; and strong guards were posted at night at the arsenals and armories and other important points. Apprehensions of an attempt to destroy property having been felt in one of the towns of Kings County, a cavalry force was placed on duty for its security, and in every respect the design was carried out, without making the service too oppressive upon the troops, to give entire security to life and property. In the meantime the riot in New York had been sup-