War of the Rebellion: Serial 044 Page 0783 Chapter XXXIX. EXPEDITION TO WALKERTON AND AYLETT'S, VA.

Search Civil War Official Records

Inclosed please find report of Lieutenant-Commander Mitchell, of the amount of ammunition expended on his vessel, and a letter from Major-General Keyes. *

I have the honor to be, sir, your obedient,


Lieutenant Commander, and Senior Officer York River and Vicinity.

Numbers 5. Report of Brigadier General Henry A. Wise, C. S. Army.

WHITE HOUSE, June 6, 1863.

GENERAL: I report that on the night of the 4th-night before last-one gunboat and three transports of the enemy passed up the Mattapony - West Point about 10 o'clock at night, Mantua Ferry about 2 o'clock in the morning - and landed their forces (one regiment of infantry) at Walkerton, and on the opposite shore, about 4. 30 a. m. Intelligence of their passing Frayser's Ferry did not reach me here until 5 a. m. yesterday morning. I immediately ordered Major [J. R.] Bagby, with two companies of infantry (after leaving a small guard here), two pieces of artillery, and about 60 cavalry, to proceed to Lanesville, halt his artillery and infantry there, and send his cavalry up to search for the enemy, and then to post his artillery on the bluffs above Frayser's Ferry, supported by his infantry, to attack the enemy when descending the river. He had reached Lanesville, and sent his cavalry on up to King William Court-House, when your dispatch came, ordering me to keep all my forces on this side of the Pamunkey. I obeyed this order, of course, but ordered Colonel [J. T.] Goode, with the entire Fourth, up from it (Kent Court-House). Major Bagby returned just as Colonel Goode, with the Fourth, reached here, and your second dispatch came, allowing me to cross the Pamunkey. This was about 3. 30 p. m. I immediately ordered Colonel Goode to cross with his regiment and two pieces of artillery to Lanesville, and thence to the nearest bluffs above Frayser's Ferry with all possible dispatch. He proceeded immediately, and reached the bluffs (9 miles) at or before 8 p. m. I regret to say he was too late. The enemy had passed. Had Major Bagby not been recalled, he would have reached him in time to reenforce him exactly at the moment needed. The enemy passed down about 7 o'clock yesterday evening. The cavalry were not recalled, but went on to King William Court-House. About a quarter of a mile beyond there, Captain [J. Wash.] Williams found the enemy's outer picket, and captured 2 prisoners; and a mile farther on charged the enemy's rear guard of infantry, 150 strong, and with a small squad, killed 3. The enemy were in a dense woods, where the cavalry could not penetrate, and, with only 1 man wounded, Captain Williams very properly fell back. This caused the gunboat to commence shelling immediately, and the main body of the enemy and all their forces returned to the transports.


* Not found.