War of the Rebellion: Serial 044 Page 0766 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

My loss in both officers and men was quite severe. The following is a list of the arms and horses captured on yesterday:


Colt's army pistols____________________________________ 68 Sharps rifles __________________________________________ 40

Sabers _________________________________________________ 50

Horses _________________________________________________ 39

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel Twelfth Virginia Cavalry.

Brigadier General W. E. JONES, Commanding Jones' Brigade.

Numbers 585 Report of Lieutenant Colonel T. B. Massie, Twelfth Virginia Cavalry.

JULY 30, 1863.

GENERAL: The battle of Brandy coming under your own supervision, it is necessary to report only the list of casualties, which you will find inclosed, amounting to 55 [54?] killed, wounded, and captured. On June 16, we marched from Brandy Station, and the morning of the 21st found us on picket at the pot-house, Loudoun County. The enemy crossed Goose Creek, and pushed forward his sharpshooters, when I received an order from you to retire. Arriving near Upperville, I received your order to charge the enemy, to save the battery. The regiment charged to a stone fence, through which there was but one small gap, upon which the infantry and cavalry of the enemy poured a destructive cross-fire. I therefore ordered the regiment to retire, which was done in good order, with the loss of 2 killed and 11 wounded. Among the latter was Captain [C. T.] O'Ferrall, of Company I, severely wounded while rallying his squadron under the heavy fire. It is proper to state that I had but seven companies in the engagement, Companies G, H, and C being off on other duty. On June 25, I received Your order to establish a picket line fronting Harper's Ferry. It was executed that evening. On the night of the 30th, Lieutenants [S.] Hammon and [G.] Baylor asked permission to capture the enemy's picket. It was granted, and they took 40 men with them. The affair was well planned and gallantly excused, and resulted in the capture of 1 lieutenant and 19 men, and 1 killed. No casualties on our side. But 1 Yankee escaped. By 1 o'clock of July 1, the enemy had blown up his magazine on this side of the river, and retired to the Maryland Heights. This position they evacuated on the night of the 2d, leaving a considerable quantity of commissary, quartermaster's, and ordnance stores, which were saved, and turned over to the regimental quartermaster and yourself. On the 5th, Lieutenant [J. R.] Wood, of Company C, with 6 men, scouted to Frederick City, Md., where he found the enemy in force, but succeeded in capturing a picket of 8 men. He was closely pursued for 6 or 8 miles, yet lost but 1 man captured.