War of the Rebellion: Serial 044 Page 0406 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

The Fourth and Fifth Texas, under the command of Majors [J. P.] Bane and [J. C.] Rogers, continued to hold the ground of their original line, leaving the space over which they had made their successive charges strewn with their wounded and deal comrades, many of whom could not be removed, and were left upon the field. The First Texas, under Lieutenant-Colonel Work, with a portion of Benning's brigade, held the field and the batteries taken by the First Texas. Three of the guns were brought off the field and secured; the other three, from the nature of the ground and their proximity to the enemy, were left. The Third Arkansas, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel[R. S.] Taylor, ably assisted by

Major[J. W.] Reedy, after Colonel Manning was borne the field, sustained well the height character it made in the earlier part of the action. When night closed the conflict, late in the evening, I was struck above the knee, which deprived me of the u; se of my leg, and prevented me from getting about the field. I retired some 200 yards to the rear, leaving the immediate command with Lieutenant -Colonel Work, the senior officer present, under whose supervision our wounded were brought out and guns secured, and our dead on that part of the were buried the next day. About 2 o'clock that night, the First Texas and Third Arkansas were moved by the right to the position occupied by the Fourth and Fifth, and formed on their left, where the brigade remained during the day of the 3d, keeping up a continuous skirmishing with the enemy's sharpshooters, in which we had a number of our men severely wounded. I sent my assistant adjutant-general, Captain F. L. Price, at daybreak to examine the position of the brigade, and report to me as soon as he could, and while in the discharge of that duty, was either killed or fell into the hands of the enemy, as he has not been seen or heard of since. About dark on the evening or the 3d, the brigade, with the division, fell back to the hill, and formed in line, where it remained during the 4th. Lieutenant[J. R.] Loughridge, commanding Company I, Fourth Texas, who commanded the skirmishers in front of the Fourth, and who was left when that regiment moved to the right, joined the First Texas, and did gallant service during the engagement. In this, the hardest fought battle of the war in which I have been engaged, all, both officers and men, as far as my observation extended, fully sustained the high character they have heretofore made. Where all behaved so nobly, individual distinction cannot with propriety be made. I cannot close this report without expressing my thanks to my personal staff for the able and satisfactory manner in which they discharged their duties. The wounding of so many commanding officers, among them the division demander, pondered their duties peculiarly arduous. They were discharged with zeal and promptness. Captain F. L. Price, my assistant adjutant-general whose loss on the morning of the 3rd I have to deplore, was an active, efficient officer, and did his duty nobly. MY aide-de-camp-, Lieutenant John G. Scott, my assistant adjutant and inspector general, Lieutenant John W. Kerr, and Lieutenant John Grace, volunteer aide, discharged their with a promptness and ability that merit special notice. A list of th; e casualties in the several

regiments, * together with,


*For list of casualties, see p. 339.