War of the Rebellion: Serial 043 Page 0880 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

remaining here until the afternoon, moved to the front, by order of General Tyler. About 4 o'clock was ordered by Major-General Hancock to take up a position ebbed 500 yards to the right and front, with orders to watch my front, as our troops were falling back on the left at the time. I was ordered by General Gibbon to open fire to the left with solid shot at 4 degrees elevation. I a short time the enemy showed themselves in front, and, in their advance toward the battery, met with no opposition whatever from our infantry, who were posted on my right and front. I opened with solid shot and spherical case, and as they continued to advance, I opened with canister. Soon it was reported to me that we were out of canister. The enemy being within a few rods of us, I immediately limbered up, and was about to retire when a regiment of infantry took position on my left and rear, and opened fire. I immediately came into battery again, hoping that our infantry would drive the enemy back, as their force seemed to be small and much scattered. The enemy were too close. I endeavored to get my guns off the field; succeeded in getting off but three, as some of the drivers and horses were disabled while in the act of limbering up. My horse was shot at this time, and, as I was rising from the ground I was struck with a spent ball, and everything seemed to be very much confused. I hastened off with the remaining guns. After the enemy had been driven back bay the infantry, the other guns were brought off. July 3. - Replenished ammunition. Remained in park until 1. 30 o'clock near General Tyler's headquarters, about 500 yards in rear of our lines, when the enemy opened fire along the whole line, and it became so hot that we fell back out of range. Lieutenant Baldwin was wounded by a piece of shell at this time. In a short time I was ordered to report to General Newton. On taking the battery up and reporting to him, I was told that he did not want light 12-pounders, and was ordered to return. I had moved but a few hundred yards when I was halted and ordered to the front, about the center of the line, which at the time was being hard pressed. I was conducted to General Webb's position, and came into battery under a heavy musketry fire. I opened at once with canister. In a few minutes our infantry charged, and the enemy were driven back. I was relieved about 6. 30 o'clock, and returned to the Artillery Reserve camp. Of the officers and men I cannot speak too highly. I would especially mention the names of Sergts. Henry Menard, [Ephraim N. R.] Ohl, [William E.] Lines, and [Daniel A.] Whitesell; the latter lost his leg. Private John Trevor is worthy of the highest praise. List of casualties. * Ammunition expended: 50 rounds of solid shot, 160 rounds of spherical case, and 70 rounds of canister; total, 280 rounds. One caisson lost. Captain D. R. Ransom commanded the brigade, and was with Lieutenant Turnbull's battery at the time he was wounded.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


First Lieutenant Fifth Artillery, Commanding Battery.


A. A. G., Artillery Reserve.


*Embodied in revised statement, p. 187.