War of the Rebellion: Serial 043 Page 0741 Chapter XXXIX. THE GETTYSBURG CAMPAING.

Search Civil War Official Records

At 6 o'clock in the morning, we were ordered to the right of the road leading to Gettysburg. We were posted behind a stone fence to the left of Captain Wiedrich's battery. Lieutenant Schwartz, with one company, was sent to take possession of the next houses of the town to the left of the road. The enemy's sharpshooters kept up a brisk fire at these houses, and killed agirl who was living in one of them. Our men escaped uninjured, although they had possession of the house until the end of the battle, and the house was completely pierced by bomb-shells and rifle-balls. The fire of these sharpshooters was very annoying to us, as we could not show our heads above the fence without being fired at; however, they did us no damage. We maintained our position until July 4l, in the morning, when we were astonished not to hear any firing recommenced. Lieutenant Schwartz therefore sent a patrol of 10 men into the town, to ascertain whether the enemy had retreated. The citizens gave them signs, and showed them the houses which were occupied by the enemy. Our men entered them, and took most of th esharpshooters prisoners while asleep. Shortly afterward, Lieutenant Lauber, with 20 men of this regiment, was also sent into town, and these two squads took about 200 prisoners. Later in the morning, the regiment was moved about 200 yards to the right again, where it staid until the 5th, in the evening, when it marched toward Emmitsburg. In this place we arrived on the 6th, about noon. On the 7th, we started to Middletown, where we arrived about 10 o'clock that night. On the 8th, in the afternoon, we were ordered to proceed to Boonsborough, to support General Kilpatrick's cavalry division which was engaged with the enemy's cavalry. We arrived at sunset, when the enemy fell back. On the 9th, we shifted camp, and marched toward Hagerstown, near which place we arrived and took position on the 11th, throwing up rifle-pits. After remaining in this position until the 14th, we marched through Hagerstown until near Williamsport, and returned to Middletown the next day. On the 15th, we marched through Jefferson to Berlin, Md., where we rested until the 19th. On this day we recrossed the Potomac, and ended our campaign in Maryland and Pennsylvania. I can but express the greatest satisfaction with the behavior of the officers and men under my command. With very few exceptions they were equally devoted during the long and exhausting marhces as well as during the tremendous fire of the battle. It gives me special pleasure to thank mein my endeavors to follow the order of my superiors. Our loss was exceedingly small in proportion to the firing we had been exposed to. We have to mourn the loss of Adjt. Louis Deitrich, who was killed on July 2. Besides this, our loss consisted of 1 man killed, 14 wounded, and 3 missing. *

EMIL KOENIG, Captain, Comdg. Fifty-eighth Regiment New York Vols. Colonel W. KRZYZANOWSKI, Commanding Sesscond Brig., Third Div., Eleventh Corps.


*But see revised statement, p. 183.