War of the Rebellion: Serial 043 Page 0690 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

Leaving camp near Manchester at 9 p. m. July 1, and marching constantly, I arrived near the battle-field of Gettysburg at 10 p. m. the 2d, having followed the leading brigade of the Third Division. Early on the morning of the 3d, I received orders from you to report with my battery to General Newton, commanding the First Corps. Guided by an aide of that general, I reached the front about 10 a. m. General Newton being at the moment absent, I moved forward and reported to General Doubleday, who decided that no more batteries were then required, and directed me to park near by. I parked a short distance from the front, and General Newton having returned, I rode forward and pointed out my position, which was less than 100 yards distant. Here I remained till about noon, when the rebels suddenly opened a heavy artillery fire on our lines. The shells, passing over our line, struck with much accuracy in and about the spot where I was parked, and my horses were suffering, when I received orders from General Newton to move up my battery as quickly as possible. I advanced at a brisk trot, and, leaving my caissons in rear, came into position with General Doubleday's division, and opened fire on the enemy's batteries in my front, firing slowly and with much accuracy. The enemy had excellent range of my position. I held this position for over an hour, and then received orders to move to the crest farther to my right, with General Webb's brigade, as the enemy was advancing. I moved up at a gallop, and came into position, several other batteries being on my right and left. The rebel skirmishers had just commenced firing, and their second line was advancing from the woods. The artillery fire was quite accurate and did much execution; still, the rebel line advanced in a most splendid manner. I commenced firing canister at 200 yards, and the effect was greater than I could have anticipated. My last charge [a doubleheader] literally swept the enemy from my front, being fired at less than 20 yards. The infantry in front of five of my pieces, and posted behind a slight defense of rails, some 10 yards distant, turned and broke, but were rallied, and drawn off to the right of my battery by General Webb in a most gallant manner. It was then I fired my last charge of canister, many of the rebels being over the defenses and within less than 10 yards of my pieces. They broke and fled in confusion. My battery was the only remaining one on this part of the hill. The cannoneers being driven from ten pieces on my right, and the batteries on my left having retired, the enemy now advanced several smooth-bore batteries to within 1, 300 yards, and opened on the part of the line which I occupied. I concentrated my fire on a single battery, and exploded four of its limbers in rapid succession, driving it from the field. Another 3-inch battery came up on my left, and also opened on them. After about an hour, there was but one section of the enemy's batteries firing, and it soon limbered up. As it was retiring at a gallop, a shell from my right piece exploded one of its limbers. My men performed their duty nobly. My loss was 4 privates killed instantly, and 1 soon after died of wounds; 4 enlisted men and 2 officers wounded. * As I have forwarded a report of their names, I deem it unnecessary to mention them

here. I also lost 14 horses, and 8 wheels were disabled.


*But see revised statement, p. 181.