War of the Rebellion: Serial 043 Page 0448 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

dered as prisoners. The enemy, failing most completely in their attempt to carry our line by assault, retreated in considerable disorder. The firing had nearly or quite ceased when two regiments [names unknown] filed past our left flank, and formed in front and to the left of our line. Several officers and men of the regiment saw them pick up two battle-flags and one regimental color from the ground directly in front of our line, which the enemy had left behind in their hasty retreat. The conduct of both officers and men was in the highest degree commendable, so far as came under my observation. Lieutenant-Colonel Steele {since killed

particularly distinguished himself for coolness while directing the fire of the men to various points along the line. The engagement lasted from 4 o'clock until dusk, when the firing ceased along the front. Farther to the right it continued much later. A strong picket line was posted in front, a proportionate number being detailed from this regiment for this purpose. The wounded were cared for as far as possible. The men rested on their arms during the night. The next morning about daylight {July 3

, skirmishing commenced along the front. The enemy's artillery also threw shells along the line occasionally, doing little or no injury, however. At 10 o'clock all was quiet, comparatively, along our front. At 1 p. m. the enemy, having massed their artillery at the edge of the wood, suddenly opened a heavy fire along our line, directed principally, at our batteries in position on our right and left; also those on the hill in our rear. We were obliged to lie as close as possible behind our slight breastwork, which afforded but little protection. The cannonade lasted about two hours. Our escape with so slight loss seems little short of miraculous. The smoke from the enemy's guns had scarcely cleared away when their columns of infantry were seen advancing to the charge. Our line reserved its fire until they had advanced to within short range, when it was opened with deadly effect. The enemy's first line advanced to within 20 rods, when they commenced moving by the left flank, which obliged us to direct our fire to the right oblique, in order to keep them within range as long as possible. Our right flank having been completely turned by the giving way of a portion of the Second Brigade, we were ordered to fall back a short distance, which movement was effected in very good order under the circumstances. Again rallying to the assistance of other regiments which now came up, the enemy were finally driven back, and the regiment again occupied its former position. Our loss during the two day's engagements was very heavy, the proportion of the killed to the wounded being unusually large. I herewith forward a complete list of killed and wounded, together with nature of wounds so far as known. * Lieutenant-Colonel Steele fell near the close of the engagement, and while gallantly rallying his command to repel the {for a time

successful advance of the enemy.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Major, Commanding.


Actg. Asst. Adjt. General


*Embodied in revised statement, p. 176.