War of the Rebellion: Serial 043 Page 0140 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

Search Civil War Official Records

ADDENDA.

III. - PUBLIC RESOLUTION - NO. 9.

A RESOLUTION expressive of the thanks of Congress to Major General Joseph Hooker, Major General George G. Meade, Major General Oliver O. Howard, and the officers and soldiers of the Army of the Potomac. Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That the gratitude of the American people, and the thanks of their Representatives in Congress, are due, and are hereby tendered, to Major General Joseph Hooker, and the officers and soldiers of the Army of the Potomac, for the skill, energy, and endurance which first covered Washington and Baltimore from the meditated blow of the advancing and powerful army of rebels led by General Robert E. Lee; and to Major General George G. Meade, Major General Oliver O. Howard, and the officers and soldiers of that army, for the skill and heroic valor which, at Gettysburg, repulsed, defeated, and drove back, broken and dispirited, beyond the Rappahannock, the veteran army of the rebellion.

Approved January 28, 1864.

Numbers 7. Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and co-operating forces, June 5-July 31, 1863. *

June 5. -The Army of the Potomac, commanded by Major General Joseph Hooker, with headquarters near Falmouth, was posted on the north bank of the Rappahannock River, confronting the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, under General Robert E. Lee, mainly concentrated about the town of Fredericksburg, on the south bank of the river. The several commands of the Army of the Potomac were distributed as follows: First Corps {Reynolds'

, in the vicinity of White Oak Church; Second Corps {Couch's

, near Falmouth; Third Corps {Birney's

, at Boscobel, near Falmouth; Fifth Corps {Meade's

, in the vicinity of Banks', United States, and adjacent fords on the Rappahannock; Sixth Corps {Sedgwick's

, near White Oak Church, with the Second Division {Howe's

thrown forward to Franklin's Crossing of the Rappahannock, a little below Fredericksburg, near the mouth of Deep Run; Eleventh Corps {Howard's

, near Brooke's Station, on the Aquia Creek Railroad; and the Twelfth Corps {Slocum's

, near Stafford Court-House and Aquia Landing. The Cavalry Corps {Pleasonton's, with headquarters at Manassas Junction

had two divisions {Duffie's and Gregg's

and the Cavalry Reserve Brigade, all under Buford, in the vicinity of Warrenton Junction, and one division {B. F. Davis'

in the neighborhood of Brooke's Station. The Artillery Reserve {R. O. Tyler's

was near Falmouth.

June 6. - Howe's {Second

division, Sixth Army Corps, crossed the Rappahannock at Franklin's Crossing, and, after a skirmish, occupied the enemy's rifle-pits. Wright's {First

and Newton's

Third

divisions of the same corps moved to the same point from White Oak Church, taking position on the north bank of the river.

---------------

*Compiled by Mr. Joseph W. Kirkley, of the Adjutant-General's Office, under direction of Adjutant-General Richard C. Drum, U. S. Army.

---------------