War of the Rebellion: Serial 041 Page 0041 Chapter XXXVIII. SIEGE OF PORT HUDSON, LA.

Search Civil War Official Records

prisoners by Fournet. Feeling myself not justified in hazarding the safety of the immense train in my charge by attempting any further movement against this band of guerrillas in the night, I ordered a night march of the entire command, and arrived to within 11 miles of Berwick at 4 o'clock a.m. of the 26th instant, where I made a halt, having marched 40 miles in twenty-two hours.

I cannot give too much praise to both officers and men of my command for their conduct upon all occasions; and am proud to say that no instance has come to my knowledge of any outrage upon the property or person of any of the inhabitants upon the line of march. No property has been taken other than that required for the use of the troops and animals.

From the best information I cant obtain, I have computed the number of contrabands in the train at 5,000; horses and mules at 2,000; cattle, 1,500. The train extended some 8 miles in length, all of which I am pleased to say have been safely transferred across the bay to this place. I regret to inform you that Lieutenant Wood, of the One hundred and seventy-fifth [One hundred and tenth] New York Volunteers, wounded by guerrillas at Franklin, has since died of his wounds; also that Private Lawson, of the Ninetieth New York Volunteers was accidently shot dead during the march. Private Loomis, of the Ninetieth New York Volunteers, shot by Wilcoxen, is still living, but no hopes are entertained of his recovery. Lieutenant Curtis, of the One hundred and seventy-fifth New York Volunteers, and Corporal Brewer, of the One hundred and sixty-second New York Volunteers, went back to Franklin upon a reconnaissance, and have not since been heard from.

Trusting the above will meet with the approval of the major-general commanding, I have the honor to be, sir, most respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel Ninetieth New York Vols., Commanding Provisional Brigade.

Lieutenant Colonel RICHARD B. IRWIN, A. A. G., 19th Army Corps.

MAY 21 - July 8, 1863.- Siege of Port Hudson, La.


May 21, 1863.- Action at Plains Store.

23, 1863.- Skirmishers on the Springfield and Plains Store roads.

25, 1863.- Capture of the Confederate steamers Starlight and Red Chief.

Skirmish at Thompson's Creek.

27, 1863.- First assault.

June 3-8, 1863.- Expedition to Clinton.

11, 1863.- Capture of Confederate outposts.

14, 1863.- Second assault.

16, 1863.- Raid on the Union lines.

26, 1863.- Capture of Union outposts.

July 2, 1863.- Affair at Springfield Landing.

8, 1863.- Surrender of Port Hudson.


No. 1.- Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U. S. Army,commanding Department of the Gulf.

No. 2.- Returns of Casualties in the Union forces.


*See also General Halleck's reports, p.3.