War of the Rebellion: Serial 039 Page 0969 Chapter XXXVII. THE CHANCELLORSVILLE CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

To my staff-Captain [F. T.] Snead, assistant adjutant-general; Lieutenant [E. A.] Hawkins, aide-de-camp; Lieutenant [Richard V.] Jones, brigade inspector; Sergeant Furlow and Privates Cheeves and Ormsby, couriers-I am under many obligations for assistance given me. I respectfully commend them for gallantry and meritorious conduct.

This brigade went into action with 126 officers and 1,468 enlisted men.

Casualties in brigade.

Killed. Wounded. Missing.

Command. Officers. Enlisted Officers. Elisted Officers. Enlisted men. Aggreggate.

men. men.

4th 1 28 12 103 ... 11 155


12th 1 11 4 54 ... 2 72


21st .... 15 8 56 ... 10 89


44th 2 8 7 99 ... 5 121


Total* 4 62 31 312 ... 28 437

I am, captain, most respectfully, yours,



Captain G. PEYTON, Assistant Adjutant-General.

Numbers 379. Report of Lieutenant Colonel D. R. E. Winn, Fourth Georgia Infantry.

MAY 8, 1863.

CAPTAIN: In obedience to order requiring a report of the operations of this command since leaving our camps on Wednesday, 29th ultimo, until ordered to return to our camps, I have the honor to submit the following statement:

We marched to the heights above Hamilton's Crossing, and remained during that day in line of battle, and at night bivouacked on the heights in the open field.

By daylight on April 30, we moved down and occupied the line defined by the hedge-row perpendicular to the railroad, our left resting about 50 yards from the railroad below the crossing.

After remaining in this position through the day and night, we marched out daylight on May 1, on Military road to the Plank road. Proceeding up this road, we formed in line of battle, and advanced through the field on the right of the road to support our skirmishers, who were following the enemy. Without having encountered the enemy, we withdrew to the Plank road about 6 p. m., and proceeding up said road, bivouacked near Todd's Tavern during the night.

Early on the morning of May 2 resuming our march, we proceeded by the Furnace road to its intersection with the Orange Court-House and Fredericksburg Plank road, up which we continued to its junction