War of the Rebellion: Serial 039 Page 0498 N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter XXXVII.

Search Civil War Official Records

We now remained until the night of the 5th, when, in the midst of heavy rain and mud, your ordered us to be ready to march at a moment's notice, and at daylight of teh 6th instant we left, taking a road through the woods, and, crossing the river about 7 a. m., were ordered to our old winter quarters, which we reached, after a fatiguing march, on the afternoon of the same day, where we now are. We have obeyed all the orders received.

Killed ............................................. 31

Wounded ............................................ 155

Missing (killed or wounded) ........................ 17


Total* ............................................. 203

I beg to remain, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel 124th New York Volunteers.

Colonel FRANKLIN, Commanding First Brigadier, Third Div.

No. 164. Report of Lieutenant Colonel Edward McGovern, One hundred and twenty-second Pennsylvania Infantry.


CAPTAIN: In obedience to circular from brigade headquarters, dated May 7, 1863, calling for a report from commanding officers of regiments of the part their commands took in the late engagements on the Rappahannock and in the vicinity of Chancellorville, Va., I have the honor to report:

On May 2, the One hundred and twenty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers marched, in its proper place in the First Brigade, on the Plank road about 1 mile west of Chancellorsville, and filed to the left, going in the direction of a battery, and forwarded obliquely to the right, passing a dense woods on my front in close column by company, when I deployed column on emerging from the woods, and again advanced in line of battle across a swamp to within 250 yards of the lines of the enemy. At this point the fire of the enemy opened, but as I was preceded by a line of skirmishers, I was prevented from delivering an effective reply.

Our lines halted at this point, and I ordered my men to avoid that part of the enemy's fire which was delivered at our skirmishers. Our lines were not advanced from this point. I found it impossible wholly to restrain the fire of my men, as the fire opened on our left and rear, through our skirmishers had not yet retired. In a few moments I was ordered to about face, to repel the enemy, who had suddenly appeared upon our rear, and I hastened to being my men to support the battery upon the hill.

When I arrived at the hill, General Sickles rode up and said that he wished the regiment in line in two minutes; everything depended on it. In a moment the regiment was in line, ready to meet the enemy. He did not advance, however, and I was ordered to take position about 200 yards in advance of the battery, at the edge of the woods, and in no case to yield the place to the enemy. I advanced to the woods and took position, throwing out skirmishers. About 11 p. m. the enemy


*But see revised statement, p.179.