War of the Rebellion: Serial 039 Page 0259 Chapter XXXVII. THE CHANCELLORSVILLE CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

in front of the Fitzhugh house. Large bodies of the enemy were seen moving up the river. Our lookouts reported nine batteries, of fifty guns.

May 2.-I received orders to withdraw across the river and proceed to the United States Ford. Soon after, the movement commenced, and abut 8 a. m. the enemy opened with 20-pounder Parrotts, above mentioned, and also with two 10-pounder Parrotts stationed on the same crest. Their fire was directed on our bridge and at Reynolds' battery, stationed immediately in front of it. Captain Reynolds replied deliberately and with good effect, exploding one of their ammunition chests. The batteries on the hill also opened, and with much better effect than on the 30th ultimo, the range having been pretty accurately ascertained at that time. Lieutenant Blucher did good service with his 20-pounders after he had ascertained the range and got his men quieted down. The enemy's battery was silenced in about an hour. Captain Reynolds and Lieutenant Blucher, however, continued to throw occasional shots into their position for half an hour longer, until all our troops were withdrawn. The enemy's fire was rapid and accurate, destroying one of the pontoons and wounding 10 men (1 mortally) in Reynolds' battery; three of his limbers were also struck and more or less damaged, and 10 horses killed. The battery was exceedingly well handled, the firing being carried on coolly and deliberately.

The troops having been withdrawn, the batteries proceeded up the river, Ransom, Stewart, and Cooper with their divisions; the remainder by an inner road, under my own command. We arrived at the United States Ford about dark, and lay that night near the brick hospital, half a mile in front of the bridges.

Sunday, May 3.-One proceeding to the front, I found the First Corps occupying the right of the army, along the road leading from Chancellorsville to Ely's Ford. By direction of General Reynolds, Hall's (six 3-inch guns), Ransom's, and Stewart's (twelve night 12-pounders) batteries were brought up and posted where our lines made a bend to the rear, about one-third of a mile from the point at which the road crosses Hunting Creek. Their guns were afterward protected with small earthworks, and remained in this position without being engaged until withdrawn on the night of the 5th. Captain Leppien's battery (Fifth Maine) had been ordered to this position instead of Captain Ransom's, but, on arriving at the Chancellorsville and Ely's Ford road, was turned off by order of General Hooker, and sent out to Chancellorsville.

In the engagement at that point on the 3rd, this battery suffered very severely, losing 3 officers and 25 men; also 43 horses killed and wounded. The battery seemed to have behaved excellently, and, with the aid of a body of General Hancock's troops, brought off all their guns. I was not present in this engagement, and would refer for particulars to the report of Lieutenant Stevens, a copy of which is appended.* During the day Amsden's battery (four 3-inch guns) was moved to the front and posted by Captain Weed on his left front. Toward evening, Edgell, with six 3-inch guns, relieved Puttkammer's battery, on the same front, and Ricketts, with four 3-inch guns, relieved Seeley's battery, on Captain Weed's right front. Amsden was engaged in the actions of that afternoon and also the next morning, having 1 officer and 8 men wounded; the other two batteries were also engaged to a small extent. These batteries at the time were not under my command, and do not report anything deserving your attention.

May 4.-Reynolds' battery was moved up to relieve Knap's battery on a small knoll, about 100 yards in the rear of the Chancellorsville


*See p. 284.