War of the Rebellion: Serial 037 Page 0358 Mississippi, WEST TENNESSEE, ETC. Chapter XXXVI.

Search Civil War Official Records

spectively commanded the companies that had been previously sent as a support to the garrison. These gallant officers not only willingly agreed, but solicited the honoring their companies to the assault, not wishing to expose a larger force than necessary. Captain Bradley was ordered to select 20 and Lieutenant Hogue 15 men from their respective companies. Lieutenant-Colonel Pettus, thoroughly acquainted with the locality and its approaches, came, musket in hand, and most gallantly offered to guide and lead the party into the fort. Three of Colonel Shelley's regiment also volunteered. With promptness and alacrity they moved to the assault, retook the fort, drove the enemy thought the breach they entered, tore down the stand of colors still floating over the parapet, and sent them to the colonel commanding the Legion, who immediately transmitted ti, with a note, to General Lee. This fear, considered with the accompanying circumstances the occupation by the enemy; the narrow pass thought which the party had no enter; the enfilading fie of musketry, and artillery, they had to encounter in the approach, the unwillingness of the garrison, consisting of two regiments, to volunteer, and permitting the flags to flags for three hours over their parapets, the coolness, courage, and intrepidity manifested-deserves the highest praise for every officer and man engaged in the hazardous enterprise. The enemy, driven from the fort ensconced themselves behind the parapet in the outer ditch. Two companies were immediately ordered to the fort, to aid in dislodging the companies were immediately ordered to the fort, of aid in dislodging the enemy. Many of the men mounted the parapet and fired into the ditch subjecting themselves to the aim of its occupants and the concentrated fire from the enemy's line. A few shell used as hand-grenades bursting among the enemy's lines. A few shell used as hand-grenades burst fire from the enemy soon caused them to surrender, although so soon as we cease casting MISSILES, under cover of the approaching darkness, more than half of the number escaped. In the pursuit, lieutenant Colonel Wrighley, of the second battalion, captured the other stand of colors snatched by the enemy from the parapet, but dropped in his flight.

During the remainder of the siege the command was distributed in the rifle-pits and forts, forming nightly scouting parties. Or reconnaissance, and supporting our working parties and pits.

At 10 o'clock of the enemy day of the capitulation the command marched out of the intrenchments with their color flying and band playing. Having saluted their colors, they stacked arms and returned prisoners under parole into camp.

It is not though necessary to enlarge upon the privations they suffered, in common with the rest of the garrison, their continued vigils, resolute and unwavering conduct under the necessary and continued exposure to which they were subjected, their desire for every post of danger, even when more than one-third of their number were killed or wounded, the command having lost more officers than the DIVISION to which they were attached. The casualties were: Officer killed, 10 wounded, 37 MISSING, 1 Enlisted men killed, 37 wounded, 153 MISSING, 7. Total number killed, wounded, and MISSING 245.

During the siege the command lost many of its ablest officers. Major many others, who nobly few where their duty called them, encouraging and inspiring their man by their own example.


*Names of the other officers killed cannot be determined from the official records, there being no company rolls between December, 1862, and December, 1863.