War of the Rebellion: Serial 036 Page 0604 Mississippi, WEST TENNESSEE, ETC. Chapter XXXVI.

Search Civil War Official Records

saw their heavy column advancing. In a few minutes the rebel battery opened on our lines, firing shell and shot from 24 and 12 pounder howitzers. The shell and shot picked up on the field demonstrated their caliber. As my infantry were already in close supporting distance, I massed my four batteries on the brow of the ridge, and concentrated their fire info the ravine in the direction of the rebel lines and battery. The position of my guns and infantry at this time is shown by a sketch accompanying this report. * I am indebted to W. R. McComas, first lieutenant and aide on Major-General McClernand's staff, for the sketch and other similar favors.

The fire from my batteries was well directed and continued for over one hour, and drove the rebel battery and infantry from that part of the field. The honor of repulsing the enemy at this point unquestionably belongs to the batteries of the Twelfth DIVISION, which have my Sincere thanks for their efficient service during the day.

When the fire from the enemy ceased on the right, general McClernand sent orders to have two regiments move in line of battle from our right through the ravine in which the enemy had been concealed. Colonel Cameron, being on the extreme right at this time, was ordered, in conjunction with one regiment from General Smith's First Brigade, to perform this duty. The length of the ravine was nearly 1 mile, with its width ranging from a few yards to over 100. About equidistant from its ends is a narrow neck, through which the hills and ground beyond are plainly visible. To this neck the regiments last named marched in line of battle through the ravine, capturing several prisoners. Skirmishers from the SECOND Brigade continued firing for some time in the upper end of the ravine, above the neck, when the enemy abandoned this part of the field and fled. The firing continued at irregular intervals along the line for some time afterward, but the indications plainly proved that they were only covering a rapid retreat. Thus ended the battle of Port Gibson, and we slept upon the field 2 miles in advance of the morning's contest.

It will be impossible for me to particularize each movement of the respective regiment. Their special actions are clearly described in the reports of their commanders. I have no fault to find with any officer or private in my command. If faltered I know it not. Each brigade was handled in a masterly manner, and too much praise cannot be bestowed on the veteran General McGinnis and the gallant Colonel Slack, who commanded them. Faithfully, nobly, and unfalteringly, they wit and men, performed their full duty of thorough soldiers. Their country must thank and reward them.

Throughout the day, in the hottest of the hail, and on almost every part of the field where man or horse could go, captain John E. Phillips, assistant adjutant-general, and my aides, first Lieuts. John T. McQuiddy and Joseph P. Pope, were carrying orders and making observations. Their assistance was invaluable to me, and their services deserve the highest praise. George W. Bownell, private of Company C, first Indiana Cavalry, who acted as my mounted orderly, proved himself worthy of promotion for his fearless bearing and services throughout the day.

To Surg. Robert B. Jessup, medical director, and the medical corps who co-operated with him, the command is under great obligations for their service under the very trying difficulties which surrounded them. The sick and wounded have been thoroughly cared for, although no ambulance or medical wagon accompanied my DIVISION. The surgeons


*See opposite PAGE .