War of the Rebellion: Serial 034 Page 0471 Chapter XXXV. THE MIDDLE TENNESSEE CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

mishers soon developed a strong force in our front, posted on a commanding eminence, composed both of artillery and infantry. Observation made from the surrounding hills, as well as general skirmishing kept up by both parties, gave sufficient evidence that no advance could be made without a general engagement. To bring on a general battle was contrary to my instructions, and I therefore ordered a halt, and reported the facts to General McCook, who approved of the course pursued. Considerable skirmishing was continued all day along the picket line. About dark, General Johnson's command marched for Beech Grove, except one brigade of infantry, five companies of mounted infantry, and one battery, commanded by Colonel Rose. Colonel Harrison and Captain Simonson, respectively, remained, with orders to report to me for duty.

On the morning of the 27th, about daylight, I received orders to evacuate Liberty Gap, and march my command to the Manchester pike so as to join the main column near Hoover's Gap. In order to accomplish this, I threw forward a heavy line of skirmishers, with orders to drive in those of the enemy, and in the mean time withdraw my force from the gap. The advance made by the skirmishers was but slightly resisted, the enemy having withdrawn his main forces from our front during the night and fallen back to Bellbuckle.

In accordance with instructions, Lieutenant-Colonel Jones, commanding the other five companies of Colonel Harrison's regiment of mounted infantry, and Colonel Gibson, commanding Forty-ninth Ohio Volunteers, reported to me at Millersburg, and the whole command marched for Hoover's Gap, and encamped for the night at Garrison Fork. Colonel Heg's brigade here joined the division. Reporting to the corps commander, I received orders to have three days' rations prepared in the men's haversacks, and be ready to resume the march early the next morning. The division marched to Manchester the 28th, and went into camp between the forks of the two rivers, where it remained until noon of the 1st of July, when it marched for Tullahoma, and went into camp about sunset, a short distance south of that place. The next morning, July 2, the division followed General Sheridan's in pursuit of the retreating enemy, in the direction of Winchester, and encamped at night on the north bank of Elk river, awaiting the crossing of General Sheridan's division, which was, on account of high water, not completed until the next morning. Still following General Sheridan's division, this place was reached, and my troops went into camp about noon on the 3rd instant, and, in compliance with instructions from the corps commander, I assumed command of the town.

The division captured 66 prisoners, officers and men. The division lost 3 killed and 22 wounded, as shown by the accompanying statement of casualties.*

The troops suffered much from exposure and fatigue during the nine days of active operations above described, from the excessively rainy season which prevailed and caused the roads in many places to be almost impassable.

It affords me great pleasure, however, to report the cheerful manner the troops endured the hardships, and their enthusiastic desire to again meet their foes. Had their anticipations been realized, and the foe given us battle, the old division would have given another proof of its often tried discipline and courage, and added new glories to those nobly won on many memorable fields in Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Ken-


*See revised statement, p. 421.