ROLLA, MO., April 26, 1863.
Colonel WILLIAM WEER,
En route to Houston, Springfield, Mo.:
Move on from Houston to Salem, keeping your cavalry well out on your flanks. Inform me by messenger of your progress.
F. J. HERRON,
Washington, April 26, 1863.
Major-General POPE, Milwaukee, Wis.:
No orders have been issued from here countermanding the movement of the Nebraska cavalry, although several times asked for.
H. W. HALLECK.
Washington, April 27, 1863-4.30 p.m.
Major-General CURTIS, Saint Louis, Mo.;
Island Numbers 10 does not command the channel of the river opposite New Madrid. It is distant some 10 miles. If the enemy should make a lodgment at New Madrid, and establish a battery, he would cut off General Grant's supplies until we could retake the place. It should not be given up.
H. W. HALLECK,
[DEPARTMENT OF THE MISSOURI.]
April 27, 1863.
Major General H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief, Washington, D. C.:
General Vandever came on the enemy's rear near Cape Girardeau last night and routed him taking a large number of prisoners, horses arms, &c. The enemy retreated toward Bloomfield in great disorder, pursued by the victorious and combined forces of Generals Vandever and McNeil. I have telegraphed General Asboth, at Columbus, asking him to strike a blow through New Madrid, to prevent or embarrass their escape.
[SAML. R. CURTIS,
SAINT LOUIS, MO., April 27, 1863
If you can send force to Chalk Bluff, via New Madrid, you may take Marmaduke in flank, or cut off his retreat. Some artillery and cavalry would be necessary. The Little River Swamp would be the proper base to hold, while light troops act toward Chalk Bluff. New Madrid infantry will co-operate.*
SAML. R. CURTIS,
*See Buford to McNeil, April 28, p. 259.