War of the Rebellion: Serial 032 Page 0632 MO., ARK., KANS., IND. T., AND DEPT. N. W. Chapter XXXIV.

Search Civil War Official Records

after the enemy was in full retreat, with the loss of is Parrott gun, which was disabled and abandoned, that Major Kelly and his battalion of the Fourth Missouri State Militia Cavalry made his gallant charge, cutting the enemy's lines in tow and scattering his forces. Our casualties were very light, owing to our advantageous position and to the fact that our men fought most of the time lying down on the ground. Killed, none; wounded, 2 dangerously, 3 seriously, and 2 slightly. Two horses killed; my own wounded badly twice, and several slightly. With the exception of one or two cases, officers and men acted bravely, and did their work coolly, calmly, and with a will. Allow me here to thank Major Kelly, Fourth Missouri State Militia Cavalry, for the voluntary aid he rendered me, his command being held in reserve. He spent the most of his time with me during the engagement, and too much praise cannot be bestowed upon him for the services rendered me.

As soon as the battle ended, I was ordered by you with the First Missouri State Militia Cavalry to Lexington, to take care of that place and the Sixth Sub-District. Owing to some of the command taking the wrong road, it was late when we started for Lexington; lost the way several times in the night, and the men so worn out with hunger and the want of sleep that they were falling from their horses while marching, and I thought it best to halt half-way between Marshall and Lexington, near a road leading directly south from Waverly. In about three hours a scout I had sent our reported the enemy crossing the road 9 miles farther west, and going in the direction of Sedalia. Started immediately, and when we struck the trail found it was some 500 to 700 of Shelby's men, and Shelby with them, retreating south by the way of Warrensburg. They had no train, and were moving rapidly. This was a hard day's march on us, as the rebels kept bearing in the direction of Warrensburg. We rode at a trot and gallop most of the afternoon, reaching Davis Creek at the crossing of the Lexington and Warrensburg road a little before sundown. Shelby went up the creek, struck the Columbus road, but in a short distance left that road and bore in the direction of Warrensburg. We left his trail at davis and took the road direct to Warrensburg, where we arrived at 9 o'clock, having been for the last four days without rations, and little or nothing to ge to east on the road.

[October] 15, moved out near Rose Hill. Learned that Shelby had passed Holden at 2 a. m., and General Ewing having started out south, I knew it was useless to follow any longer. As our horses had been under the saddle for eight days and nights, and the men four days without rations, we were broken down, and returned to camp. During the whole march, officers and men stood up to their work like soldiers, and never made a complaint.

The following is a list of casualties at Dug Ford, on La Mine River, October 12, 1863:*

In addition to the above, 2 men of the Seventh Missouri State Militia were killed, and 2 slightly wounded some day, names not known. One horse killed and 5 wounded.

Casualties, October 13, 1863, at the battle of Marshall, 2 officers and 5 men wounded; 2 horses killed and 1 wounded.

This comprises all our casualties. We captured but little property, as we were in pursuit the time; did not stop to pick up property; saw large numbers of horses and mules abandoned and left in the enemy's camp and on the road.


*Nominal list shows 2 men killed, 1 man mortally wounded, and 1 officer and 2 men wounded.