War of the Rebellion: Serial 032 Page 0307 ACTION AT FAYETTEVILLE, ARK. Chapter XXXIV.

Search Civil War Official Records

a. m. our center had advanced and occupied the house, yard, outbuildings, and hedges at my headquarters; the right wing had advanced to the arsenal, and the left occupied the open field in the northeast of town, while the enemy had possession of the whole hill-side east, the Davis place, opposite to, and the grove south of, headquarters. This grove was formerly occupied by the buildings of the Arkansas College. About 9 a. m., or a little before, Colonel Monroe led a gallant and desperate cavalry charge upon our right wing was met by a galling cross-fire from our right and center, piling rebel men and horses in heaps in front of our ordnance office, and causing the enemy to retreat in disorder to the woods. During this charge, Captains [William C.] Parker and [George W. R.] Smith, of the First Infantry, while bravely cheering their men, were both wounded in the head, through not dangerously. At about the same time, by order, two companies of the First Cavalry, led by the gallant Lieutenant Robb, advanced within rifle-range of the enemy's artillery, and guided by the of its discharge, fired several volleys into the midst of the artillerist, which effectually silenced their battery and caused its precipitate withdrawal from the field. The enemy's center, occupying the Davis place, made a desperate resistance for nearly an hour both wings had partially given way, and skirmishing continued at intervals for some time with pickets, reconnoitering parties, and stragglers. At 12 m. their whole force was in full retreat for Ozark. Having only a very few horses, and they already on duty with picketing and reconnoitering parties, I was utterly unable to pursue them. During the whole action the enemy occupied ground covered with timber and brush, while my command was in the streets and open fields.

Since the battle I have ascertained the following particulars: General Cabell and staff, with about 2,000 men and two pieces of artillery, left Ozark on Friday morning with three days' rations and a full supply of ammunition. They halted at the crossing of the mountains at a little past noon and rest until nearly sunset, afterward marching rapidly toward Fayetteville. They were delayed the be darkness of the night and the incumbrance of their artillery, so that they did not commence the attack early by nearly two hours as they had intended. Colonel Monroe recommended a cavalry attack, to be supported by the artillery, but was overruled by Cabell, a halt was made until the artillery could come up. Their force was made up as follows: Brigadier General W. L. Cabell commanding by staff and escort; Carroll's First Arkansas Cavalry Regiment, Colonel Scott, of Virginia, commanding, assistant by Lieutenant-Colonel Thomson; Monroe's Second [First] Arkansas Cavalry, Colonel Monroe commanding in person; First Battalion Parson' (Texas) cavalry, Lieutenant-Colonel [S. M.] Noble commanding; one section of artillery, commanding officer not known, and four companies bushwhackers, commanded by Mankins, Palmer, Brown, and others. The enemy left all their dead and wounded, which they could not take away on their retreat, in our hands, leaving Surgeon Russell and Assistant Surgeon Holderness [?] to take charge of them. To-day Captain Alexander arrived at our picket with a flag of truce, bringing a communication from General Cabell, a copy of which I inclose. The flag was immediately ordered back with my reply, sa copy of which is also inclosed. The following is a list of casualties of our side: *

* * * *


* Nominal list reports 4 men killed, 3 officers (Captain William S. Johnson, William C. Parker, and Randall Smith) and 23 men wounded, 16 men captured, and 35 men missing.