War of the Rebellion: Serial 031 Page 0528 OPERATIONS IN N. VA.,W. VA.,MD.,AND PA. Chapter XXXIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

the Fifteenth Regiment, and supported them by the balance of the brigade.

About 3 p. m. General Brooks, commanding division, ordered me to advance one regiment, supported by another, and drive the enemy from and hold their position, posted in a railroad cut and behind the embankment, just where the railroad crossed a deep ravine, and on the extreme left of my picket line. At the same time two regiments of the Third Brigade were placed under my orders. I immediately ordered Colonel Hatch, with the Fourth Regiment New Jersey Volunteers (about 300 rifles), to advance and take the position above referred to, at the same time directing the left of my picket line, with its reserve, under Major Brown, Fifteenth Regiment, to advance with them. These troops advanced in a handsome manner under a severe fire, and then charged the enemy's position, led by their gallant leader, Colonel Hatch, driving them from it with great loss, capturing about 25 prisoners of a Georgia and North Carolina regiment. The enemy being in a stronger force than was supposed, I at once ordered the Twenty-third Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, under Colonel Ryerson, and the two regiments of the Third Brigade, to advance and support the Fourth and Fifteenth. Six companies of the Twenty-third were soon engaged. At this time I received orders to halt the balance of my supports and fall back from the railroad, and hold it with pickets only, if possible, for fear that a general engagement might be brought on. The enemy seeing my small force at the railroad, and that retiring, charged with a whole brigade to the railroad. My men fell back and the pickets held their original line.

On the morning of the 14th, my pickets and brigade were relieved by the Second Brigade, when they were placed in the ravine before referred to, to shelter them from the enemy's fire.

On the morning of the 15th, the First Regiment New Jersey Volunteers was placed on picket, covering the right of the division.

About 11 o'clock at night on the 15th, I received orders that the whole army was recrossing the river, and that my brigade and that of Brigadier-General Devens would cover the crossing, and be the last to pass over. Arriving at the river, I was ordered to send the Fourth, Fifteenth, and Twenty-third Regiments across the river, covering the right with the Second and Third Regiments in two lines, deployed. In good time the First Regiment (which had been on picket) and all of the pickets of the left grand division arrived and crossed the river, when the troops which had covered the crossing passed over.

In this affair I regret to mention the loss of 1 officer and 16 enlisted men killed; 5 officers and 90 enlisted men wounded, and 50 enlisted men missing in action.* Many of the missing were wounded and taken prisoners. The brigade has lost one of its best and gallant officers in Colonel William B. Hatch, Fourth Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, who was wounded in the right leg, having to have it amputated near the thigh. Captain Slater, Company G, Fifteenth Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, unfortunately lost a leg also.

I am pleased to speak in the highest terms of the conduct of the Twenty-third Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, being a nine-months' regiment, and the first time they were under fire. Their colonel (Ryerson), formerly of the Second Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, who was badly wounded at Gaines' Mill, was to be seen in the thickest of the fight (mounted), cheering on his men. Major Crubb, of the Twenty-


*But see revised statement, p. 140.