War of the Rebellion: Serial 031 Page 0432 OPERATIONS IN N.VA.,W.VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter XXXIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

gallantly over the ground, under the heaviest fire yet opened, which poured upon it from the moment it rose from the ravine.

As the brigade reached the masses of men referred to, every effort was made by the latter to prevent our advance. They called to our men not to go forward, and some attempted to prevent by force their doing so. The effect upon my command was what I approached-the line was somewhat disordered,and, in part, forced to form into a column, but still advanced rapidly. The fire of the enemy's musketry and artillery, furious as it was before, now became still hotter. The stone wall was a sheet of flame, that enveloped the head and flanks of the column. Officers and men were falling rapidly, and the head of the column was at length brought to a stand when close up to the wall. Up to this time not a shot had been fired by the column, but now some firing began. It lasted but a minute, when, in spite of all our efforts, the column turned and began to retire slowly. I attempted to rally the brigade behind the natural embankment so often mentioned, but the united efforts of General Tyler, myself, our staffs, and the other officers could not arrest the retiring mass. My efforts were the less effective, sine I was again dismounted, my second horse having been killed under me. The only one of my staff now mounted was Lieutenant Humphreys, whose horse had been three times wounded. All the rest had their horses either killed or disabled, except one officer, who had been sent off with orders.

Directing General Tyler to reform his brigade under cover of the ravine, I returned to the portion of Allabach's brigade still holding, with the other troops, the line of natural embankment. At this moment some one brought me Colonel Elder's horse, the colonel having been dangerously wounded a short time before.

My force being too small to try another charge, I communicated the result of the contest to General Butterfield, and received directions in return to bring the remainder of my troops to the ravine. This was accordingly done, the One hundred and twenty-third and One hundred and fifty-fifth Regiments, commanded by Colonels Clark and Allen, retiring slowly and in good order, singing and hurrahing. Colonel Allabach brought off the other regiments in equally good order.

Our loss in both brigades was heavy, exceeding 1,000 in killed and wounded,*including in the number officers of high rank. The greater part of the loss occurred during the brief time they were charging and retiring,which scarcely occupied more than ten or fifteen minutes for each brigade.

I beg leave to submit herewith the report of Brigadier General E. B. Tyler, commanding First Brigade, and Colonel P. H. Allabach, commanding Second Brigade, and to bring to your notice the officers mentioned by them who distinguished themselves by their gallant bearing. Among them are Colonel Gregory (slightly wounded), Colonel Frick, Colonel Elder (dangerously wounded), and Lieutenant-Colonel O'Brien, commanding regiments; Lieutenant-Colonels Armstrong and Rowe; Majors Thompson and Anthony, and Major Todd (who had his leg shattered and has since died); Colonels Allen and Clark, commanding regiments; Captain Porter, assistant adjutant-general (dangerously wounded), and Captain Tyler, and Lieutenant Noon, adjutant One hundred and thirty-third Regiment (killed on the field).

I also transmit the report of the acting chief of artillery, Captain Randol, to whom my acknowledgments are due for the prompt and skillful manner in which he executed the duties assigned him. The cool courage of Colonel Allen, One hundred and fifty-fifth Regiment; of


*See revised statement,p.137.