War of the Rebellion: Serial 031 Page 0268 OPERATIONS IN N.VA.,W.VA.,MD.,AND PA. Chapter XXXIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

in advance of the other sections, and opened on the enemy with solid shot from the center and left sections and shells from the right. I continued firing with rapidity for forty-five minutes, when General Humphreys requested me to cease firing, that he might charge through my battery with his brigade on the enemy's work. After the infantry passed, I withdrew my battery, by order of Captain Morgan, to my old position in the city. Before getting in battery, and during the engagement, I sustained a loss of 16 men and 12 battery horses; also the horses of Lieutenants Bloodgood, Milne, and my own were shot. Owing to the loss of my horses, I was forced to leave one limber on the field, and withdrew the left piece of the left section by hand. After arriving in my old position, I asked if any sergeant would volunteer to go back and bring the limber from the field. Sergt. Anthony B. Horton was the first to reply, and said, " I am your man, " and succeeded in bringing it in.

On the morning of the 14th, at 9 a.m., by order of Captain Morgan, I recrossed the river and reported to General Hunt, and went into park in rear of the Lacy house. I remained in that position until 12 m. of the 15th, when I returned to my old camp, near Falmouth, by order of Captain Morgan, and reported to General Howard.*

* * * * * * *

In conclusion, I would respectfully beg leave to allude to the bravery and endurance of my men, not a man quitting his post on the field.

As to the conduct of my officers, Lieutenant Adams, Bloodgood, Perrin, and Milne, I will only say I am proud to have associated with me such gallant and self-possessed officers.

I am, captain, your very obedient servant,


Captain First Rhode Island Light Artillery, Commanding Company B.


Assistant Adjutant-General.

No. 80. Report of Brigadier General Alfred Sully, U. S. Army, commanding First Brigade.


Camp near Falmouth, Va., December 18, 1862.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my brigade in the recent action at Fredericksburg:

Agreeably to orders from the division headquarters, I moved my brigade from camp, at about 6.30 a.m. on December 11, toward Fredericksburg, in the following order: Thirty-fourth and Eighty-second New York Volunteers, Fifteenth Massachusetts Volunteers, Nineteenth Maine Volunteers, and First Minnesota Volunteers; in all, including officers, 2,211 strong.

After marching about 2 miles, we were halted, by orders, under a hill in front of Fredericksburg. Two companies of the Nineteenth Maine were detached, under Major Cunningham, to support a battery on this side of the river. We remained in our position until near sunset, waiting the placing of a pontoon bridge. Subsequently we crossed, under a fire of the enemy, and occupied the city.


*Nominal list of casualties, omitted, shows 16 enlisted men wounded.