War of the Rebellion: Serial 031 Page 0187 Chapter XXXIII. BATTLE OF FREDERICKSBURG, VA.

Search Civil War Official Records

The siege guns of the First Connecticut Artillery, Major Trumbull commanding, dismounted one of the heavy guns of the enemy in their works behind Fredericksburg.

(Sunday and Monday, the 14th and 15th), the divisions and batteries which had been most engaged during the battle of Saturday were, when possible, relieved by others, more especially when the men could not stand to their guns, except during an engagement, when the smoke disturbed the aim of the enemy's skirmishers. Whenever on our left the enemy brought his guns to bear, they were soon silenced. A Whitworth gun, beyond the Massaponax, enfilading our lines at a range of 2,700 yards, was not silenced until three guns of Hall's Maine battery had been concentrated upon it.

The army recrossed on the night of the 15th, the rifle batteries which had crossed the river resuming the positions occupied by them on the night of the 10th. These positions they retained until the bridges were taken up and removed.

The losses of the batteries engaged were, 1 officer (Lieutenant George Dickenson, Battery E, Fourth U. S. Artillery) and 30 men killed: 2 officers (Captain George A. Gerrish, Battery A, First New Hampshire Artillery and Lieutenant William Stitt, Battery A, First Pennsylvania Artillery, Simpson's) and 127 men wounded; 2 men missing, and 168 horses killed and disabled. (See return of casualties, appended.)*

Lieutenant Dickenson's death is a loss to the service. When at Antietam all the officers of this battery were killed or wounded, he was selected to reorganize and prepare it for the field. Without any one to assist him, until at a comparatively recent period, he accepted the trust, and, although the labors and difficulties were enhanced by the fact that the battery was one of the horse artillery, yet, by unwearied industry and vigilance, he brought it up to a high of efficiency. Young, modest, and retiring in his disposition, he added to the qualities of a Christian gentleman those of a brave and manly soldier, and his bearing in the action in which he lost his life was but a continuation of that he had before exhibited on the battle-fields of Missouri, of the Peninsula, and Maryland.

My personal staff, Captain Edward P. Brownson, additional aide-de-camp, U. S. Army; Lieutenant W. S. Worth, Eighth Infantry, aide-de-camp; Captain John N. Craig, assistant adjutant-general; Lieutenant Colonel E. R. Warner, First New York Artillery, and Major Alexander Doull, Second New York Artillery, inspectors of artillery, performed the duties devolving upon them with alacrity and intelligence. Major Doull, charged with the direction of the operations when the middle bridge was successfully thrown, and in command of Kusserow's and Waterman's batteries on the 13th instant, is entitled to special commendation for the energy, conduct, and gallantry displayed on these occasions, and I respectfully call your attention to those services.

Lieutenant-Colonel (now Brigadier-General) Hays, additional aide-de-camp; Colonel Tompkins, First Rhode Island Artillery; Colonel (now Brigadier General) R. O. Tyler, First Connecticut Artillery, and Captain G. A. De Russy, Fourth U. S. Artillery, commanding the divisions of artillery in position, discharged their respective duties with skill, judgment, and efficiency. The duties of Colonel Tompkins were arduous, and required constant attention and exposure, charged as he was with the protection of the workmen at the two upper bridges, within close musket


*Embodied in statement on p. 129.