War of the Rebellion: Serial 029 Page 0637 Chapter XXXII. THE STONE'S RIVER CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

infantry and artillery following us closely in our rear and to our left. They had cavalry enough to spare to strike, or to take position, when ever required.

When we arrived on the open ground, General McCook's aide told me the whole of General McCook's ammunition train was close by, on a dirt road running by that point, and that I must try to save it. I soon formed my command in line, when the enemy made his appearance in a position occupying two-thirds of a circle. They prepared to charge upon us; likewise commenced throwing shells, at which the Second East Tennessee broke and ran like sheep. The Fourth, after receiving several shells, which killed some of their men and horses, likewise retired from their line, as it became untenable. The First had been ordered to proceed farther on into another lot, to form and to receive a charge from another line of the enemy's cavalry. The Third moved to the left, in the vicinity of a white house. About the time the First was formed, the enemy charged upon the Fourth, which, being on the retreat, owing to the shells coming pretty freely, moved off at a pretty lively gait. The Third moved farther to the left, and, somewhat sheltered by the house and barns, the First charged upon the enemy; did not succeed in driving them back.

On returning from said charge the gallant Colonel Milliken* and a lieutenant were killed, and another lieutenant severely wounded.

At this juncture the First and Fourth retired pretty fast, the enemy in close pursuit after them, the Second East Tennessee having the lead of them all. Matters looked pretty blue now; the ammunition train was supposed to be gone up, when the Third charged upon the enemy, driving him back, capturing several prisoners, and recapturing a good many of our men, and saved the train. I was with the three regiments that skedaddled, and among the last to leave the field. Tried hard to rally them, but the panic was so great that I could not do it. I could not get the command together again until I arrived at the north side of the creek; then I found that only about one-third of the First and Fourth Regiments were there, and nearly all of the Second East Tennessee. These I marched back across the creek, when, joined by the Third, we had several skirmishers with the enemy's cavalry all day long; received several charges, and repulsed them.

All the officers and men behaved well through all the fighting up to the stampede, which was not very creditable. All of them that I brought back into action again behaved well during the rest of the day. I must say the Third deserves great credit for this day's fighting-for the coolness and bravery of its officers and men, and for its determination to save the train, which they accomplished. I do not wish to take any credit away from the other regiments, as they all fought nobly and did first-rate, with the exception of the stampede.

On January 1, after being in line of battle since 3 a. m., I was ordered to take the Third Ohio and the Anderson Troop, proceed to Nashville, and escort the army wagon train through to Nashville. I left about 9 o'clock. A little below La Vergne was attacked by General Wheeler's cavalry brigade; repulsed him twice, killed 9, wounded several, and took 2 prisoners; saved all the train but two of three wagons, which broke down in the excitement; saved several cannon belonging to a Wisconsin battery going along with the train, which were abandoned by the drivers, horses still hitched to the cannon. Some of my men mounted the horses and took the cannon into Nashville. The enemy threw shells at us, but did not succeed in hurting any of the men. The Anderson


*See also Wharton's report, Numbers 305, p. 966.